Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Wilcommen im Vienna

 


Gruss Gott!

The photo is of my neighborhood. I think we can all appreciate a statue of Guttenberg.

I'm a bit wilted and jet lagged but glad to be here and settled in. Do Austrians do apero? They, like other Europeans, like Aperol Spritz, so I'm going to continue my habit. Right now I'm drinking water to cure the dehydration.

My rides to the airport always show up early, but I've learned to anticipate that and be ready. I joined the Twenty-first Century and had my boarding pass delivered to my phone, so all I had to do was print out the luggage tag and drop off my bag. Security was a bit of a pain. The last two times we did not have to take off our shoes. This time we did.

There are now non-stop flights to Vienna! I do not like changing planes. I do it, but there's always a chance of a missed connection.  My premium economy seat was roomy and comfortable. I had a pleasant seat mate and I even got a little sleep, which does help. Dinner was kind of meh, but the Austrian wine served was very pleasant, and we got a good breakfast. The charming flight attendant even offered me lemon for my tea. Yum!

One interesting thing. Air turbulence has been in news recently. Airlines have always recommended that passengers keep their seat belts fastened at all times, which is something I do. On my flight keeping seat belts fastened was presented as a requirement.  Good.

I had to wait around for my luggage, but I did have the company of my pleasant seat mate in Vienna to visit her family.  Having retrieved my bags I set out in search of public transportation. I couldn't find the airport bus, so I took the City Airport Train to Wien Mitte and then the U Bahn to Schwedenplaz, and then walked up to my place--only getting turned around once.

This is Austria, so everything is automated. I'd paid for early check in, and the residence sent me detailed, illustrated instructions on how to check in. I entered the code and pushed the thingy. Nada--or I should say Nichts. Fortunately a kind gentleman who spoke English and had stronger fingers than I do helped me out.

I unpacked and went in search of groceries.  I love google maps. The grocery store is nice, but it's three stories, and I am jet lagged, but I got my supplies. My aparthotel is on a nice, quiet street in a prime location. I'll enjoy my stay.

Right now I'm sipping rose and eating a snack sandwich I snaffled from the airline while watching the Tour de France. I may or may not have a proper dinner later.

Servus!

No comments:

Post a Comment