Saturday, July 6, 2024

The Albertina

 

Gruss Gott,

Summer in Vienna--it's going to be hot and probably humid, but it doesn't get bad until late afternoon. When I was out it was breezy, which was refreshing, but didn't do my short hair any good.

Before we get to the tourist action, let's talk about traffic. Now much of the historic center of Vienna is pedestrianized--so very civilized and an acknowledgement that, unlike my hometown, which is made for cars, this city is made for people. But there are vehicles, and the Austrian drivers are attentive, polite, and careful. I never worry about crossing the street. Even the busses and cyclists are nice to pedestrians. I am betting that this is one factor making Vienna the Most Livable City once again.

Today's target was the Albertina Art Museum. I am still jet lagged, so I wanted something easy that was within good walking distance. I actually took a longer route because I wanted to stroll down Karchnerstrasse, which is one of the main shopping drags in Vienna and in my memory glowed with one K und K pastry shop after another.

Pil, what is this K und K?

It stands for Kaiserlich und Koeniglich. In other words Imperial and Royal as the Emperors of Austria were also Kings of Hungary--and a lot of other places.  And, well, I did find one. I wonder if I'm mistaking the street. At any rate I'm saving the pastry for later.

The Albertina is Vienna's museum of Modern Art. I understand that a lot of people don't like it, and I understand why.  I have artists that I deeply appreciate. For example I like the Fauves--the "Wild Beasts," who went nuts for color. One of my favorites is Emil Nolde.  The Albertina has a distinguished collection of Picasso. I like many of his works. Others leave me cold. The guy had an unfortunate attitude toward women although he painted them often.  One can also find Impressionists (Monet, for example) Surrealists, and some lovely works by Marc Chagall.

But something else attracted me to the place. Yes. There are Period Rooms! The museum was once a place occupied by Maria Theresa and later her favorite daughter, Maria Christina who married Albert, the Duke of Saxony in case you were wondering where the name of the museum came from. 

These rooms tend toward the Rococo. The furnishings are a bit sparse, but what is there is definitely worth seeing. What I don't get is how people--and I witnessed this today--can walk through these wonderful places glued to their phones.

I had a nice stroll home. Stores are closed on Sundays in pious Austria, so I have to make sure I have supplies. But I might be able to get take out as a treat.

Servus.


No comments:

Post a Comment