Friday, July 5, 2024

Der Hofburg--and That Little Bit Too Much of Sisi


 Gruss Gott!

And in Breaking News, Vienna has once again topped the charts of most livable cities. Being here it is easy to believe.

The afternoon turned hot, so I'm glad to be here with my apero consisting of chilled rose and almonds awaiting the Individual Time Trial of the Tour de France.

I got a pretty good nights sleep. The jet lag is not over, but it is much improved, and I thoroughly enjoyed my day out. I obtained on line something called The Vienna Pass. You can google it. Most cities that have significant tourist traffic have a version, and most of the time they are a good deal.  The visitor doesn't have to fumble for cash or credit card at the ticket office--just flash the pass. Sometimes there's a highly-valuable "skip the line" feature. In my younger days, I got the pass to pay for itself in two or three days. No longer, but the Vienna Pass holder gets discounted admission (which can be quite steep, but the sites are worth it) to museums and other goodies. I had mine sent to my phone.

The target for the day is the Hofburg Palace of the later Habsburgs. I got directions and it was an easy walk that took longer than it should have because Someone needs to stop and gawk or else lick windows. I walked through Bougiegasse with all the luxury brands represented, but I was not interested in those windows.

I successfully achieved admission with my phone and Vienna Card. I was surprised because I expected to have to stand in line, but I got there right after opening and got right in. Admission includes an excellent audio guide.

I went to use the toilet and was startled when I nearly ran into an old lady. It was a mirror and the oldster was--me. 

Then I proceeded upstairs to the Imperial Apartments.  I had to proceed downstairs, too, because I'd dropped my ticket and needed to scan it to get in. The first stop is the Sisi Museum. Look. I get it. A lot of people are fascinated by the Kaiserin Elisabeth married at sixteen--probably against her will--to her cousin Emperor Franz Josef of Austria and a lot of other places. He adored her. She liked him, but after a while and the tragic deaths of some of her children, she did not like being Empress.

She was creditably regarded as the most beautiful woman of her age, an image she took care to milk and which the museum highlights.  I would have put her on meds and found her morbid self absorption tiresome, but mental illness did run in her family. Also a lot of the exhibits in the Sisi Museum are replicas. The labels are frank about this.

I enjoyed the Imperial Apartments more. I have a passionate fondness for period rooms.  One interesting feature was the homey, austere taste of Franz Josef contrasted with his wife's flamboyant taste for luxury.  Their bedrooms and bathrooms tell the tale.


Most of the rooms forbade photography, which frankly did not stop most people, but I want to respect the site. Anyway, it's best to just look around and appreciate the beautiful furniture and decorations.

The visit ends with a trip through the shop. There's something for everyone, but most of it was labeled Schonbrunn, so I figured I could wait.

After I left the palace I took a stroll through the gorgeous Volkpark loving the greenery and the flowers and fountains. Of course, I ended up not knowing where I was, but I am used to getting lost and I just keep going. I walked past a lot of beautiful buildings and just followed my instincts as to the direction. I figured that if all else failed I would find the U Bahn and get home that way. I did find a U Bahn, but I realized I was close to my neighborhood and kept walking. I stopped at the grocery store because I wanted to try the white wine my friend Sartorias mentioned or I hope it is.

This is Stift Kloster Neuburg produced at a major and desperately historical monastery outside of town, which I visited last time I was here and it was a lot of fun. Shall we have a sip? Just keep in mind I am far from an expert. Nice. A bit sweeter than Gruner Verveltner. You are more likely to find the latter in your wine suppler though. 

Servus!


No comments:

Post a Comment