Sunday, July 14, 2024

Schonbrunn Part III: Carriage Museum and Greenhouse


 

Gruss Gott,

I walked down to Schwedenplatz--an easy stroll in hopes of finding the stop for the airport bus. I searched in vain. And google and google maps are no help either. I'll get it sorted somehow.

Then I went to the U Bahn and got my pass and hopped the train to Hietzing. I had a lovely stroll through the park land of Schonbrunn. I had two targets for the day, and I had provided myself with tickets bought on line and sent to my phone. I find this very convenient and easy, and I intend to make a practice of it when I visit other European destinations. No fumbling for cash or credit. No chance of dropping or misplacing a paper ticket.

My first stop was the Imperial Carriage Museum. Now this might not sound like fun to you, but I am fascinated with carriages of various sorts and purposes and how they are constructed, and I take every opportunity to visit such exhibits. I do not recall there being a carriage museum when I was here in 2009, but I made sure I availed myself this time.

It's quite a collection! And pretty Sisi heavy as in her younger days she liked driving her own carriages and sleds. Some vehicles are smallish and efficient, made for speedy getting around.

Some, like the state couches and the traveling couches are huge and heavy and would take a large raft of horses to pull even at a slow pace. The Imperial carriages are elaborately decorated--very beautiful and grand--and apparently quite comfortable to ride in. This was the primary form of transportation until railroads were established.  Sisi liked trains, but she also traveled with her own carriage, so she would always be provided for.




The children were not neglected. They had their own miniature versions of the grownups' equipages.

It's not just carriages. Some of Sisi's outfits are displayed as well as Imperial Livery for various office holders.  The aristocracy loved parading their wealth and status around as evidenced by their highly costly transportation. The Twentieth Century is also represented. You can view an Imperial Limousine, and one of the Hapsburg scions had a racing car and career.

Then I walked over to the Palmenhouse--the Imperial Greenhouse where the Hapsburgs collected rare and exotic plants.  It's very big and packed with greenery, but I also spotted a snail and a teeny, tiny red frog. There's also a pond with fish and a turtle.

If you like flowers and a variety of leaf shape and colors this is the place for you, but be warned it's damp, and I don't think sandals would work.



Servus


No comments:

Post a Comment