Thursday, July 4, 2024

Easing into Vienna





 Gruss Gott!

I got very little sleep and felt pretty lousy this morning, but I did get out and walk around this wonderful city, and it did me good. One place I fetched up was Stephensplatz, which is widely regarded as the heart of the city. I tried to take a picture of the magnificent gothic cathedral Stephensdom with my phone. Better than nothing I guess.  It was not a long walk to get there either. I really lucked out once again in regard to my accommodations. 

To be sure I am paying for the privilege. This is high season, and Vienna is an expensive city, but what a place! Vienna is a perennial victor in the most livable cities rankings. It's beautiful, easy to get around, and social supports are in place.  The only grumpy Austrians I've run into are beggars. The others seem quietly happy all the time, and they certainly are very gracious to visitors. I have already had to ask for help, and people could not have been kinder.

I have been here before and am looking forward to returning to some great sites. In fact my first appearance as a travel blogger was Vienna back in 2009, and you can read the posts. You will notice that I consumed sugar and sausage like a champ. I also got around a lot. Well, the years have taken a toll, and I can no longer do that. I will HAVE to have pastry and sausage at some point, because it's rude to come here and refuse Viennese treats, and if anything, I am an extremely polite traveler, but mostly I need to stick to a more or less Mediterranean Diet, and I can't tourist for eight hours straight either.

Vienna is Sugar City. Seriously. Candy is EVERYWHERE--for us tourists, I guess. Even my well equipped grocery store has a candy section--quite large--on Every Single Floor, and as I strolled around I saw many stores dedicated to candy--some of it looking--well, not appetizing.

I visited an ATM. They recognize foreign cards and ask which language you prefer. I had to go back to the grocery store because I needed more bread. It was so good, I ate the bread that was supposed to last me days. I had it thickly spread with hummus this morning.  Tasty and healthful, right?

And here's a special treat for one of my readers. I was too jet lagged yesterday to notice, but her old hangout when she was an exchange student is just a few doors away.




Hoping to get more sleep tonight, so stay tuned for some real tourist action tomorrow.

Servus!

No comments:

Post a Comment