Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Original Wittelsbach Castle!


Gruss Gott!
The train to Landshut was packed!  Even though I boarded the train some ten minutes early, I had a hard time finding a seat. People who got on later were out of luck.  Every seat was taken and people filled the aisles as well.
Where were you all going Pil?
I went to Landshut to see the old town and the castle.  My fellow passengers wanted to participate in the Hochzeist--Landshut's Medieval Festival.
The odd thing is, I think Landshut is in Swabia, but the town distinguishes itself by being the original seat of the Wittesbachs way, way back.
I enjoyed another beautiful day.  It's a fair step--some two kilometers--from the train station to the historic part of town, but it's an easy stroll.  The old town is very pretty with wide pedestrianized streets and interesting buildings.  Those wide streets were packed with folks there to celebrate the festival.  I walked around the place for quite a while trying to find the way up to the castle looming on the hill above.
I did, and I climbed.  The path up is a very steep ramp that seems to go on forever, but the castle is worth the climb.  It's a true fortress for one thing, and a lot of period rooms are open.  During the fifteenth and sixteenth century the Wittelsbachs remodeled the place using the Renaissance style from across the Alps.  Many of the wall frescos have survived, and they are gorgeous.
Then down I went back to the town, the ramp being so steep it was just as slow going down as up.  I mingled with the crowd.  Bands played, dancers twirled and leapt.  People performed and gave demonstrations.  A genuine mood of celebration filled the air as people had fun honoring their heritage.
Many of the townsfolk were in Early Modern dress and looked startlingly and--to me--disconcertingly authentic. Some portrayed aristocrats, others merchants or peasants.  Or soldiers or pages.  The effect was truly remarkable.  I do not know if it was the setting or their faces or their bearing that made them look--so very historic.
Anyway I had fun.
Glad to hear it.  Anything good for dinner?
Well, my favorite imbiss or sausage stand was out of most of their stuff by the time I got back, so I had to settle for bratwurst.  To add interest to the feast, I am going to compare a bite with yellow mustard with another with sweet mustard.  The Germans love their mustard--their word is senf and have many different kinds, but I just stick to these two common ones.  This is a very good sausage and milder than I expected.  With the yellow mustard there's almost a floral taste.  That taste must come from the sausage because it also exists along with the sweet mustard.  The mustards are both good with the sausage, but according to Bavarians the real deal is the beer.
The beer of the day is Helles from the Augustiner brewery.  Bavarians say that food is just the garnish for the beer, and I must say that the beer/sausage combo of whatever sort is a superlative combination.
Chocolates for dessert!  Here's one from Dallmayer that looks kinda like a piece of cheese--if cheese had raspberry filling.   The next bite is a combo white and dark chocolate number from Switzerland.   Walnut filling, and very nice it is, too.  These chocolates taste very good indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you got pix of that celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got some--didn't want to intrude on people's privacy.

    ReplyDelete