Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hitting a Snag


Gruss Gott!
The truth is this trip has gone too smoothly.  Disappointment was bound to occur, and today was the day.  I meant to go to Salzburg in Austria, a place I really looked forward to visiting.  Well, I can continue to look forward.  I'll get there some day.  Just not this trip.
Usually it's a straight shot on the train, but this morning the nice train lady told me it would take three and a half hours and three changes to get there--something about construction on the line or the station or something.
Well.  Phooey.
I had no Plan B, so I just walked into the historic center of Munich to contemplate how to spend my day.  The photo is of the Theatine Church, a magnificent Late Baroque production.  I like strolling around European cities because they are so very walkable unlike where I live.  Even among grand buildings, clearly cities were designed for human beings and not for cars.  Inevitably I fetched up at the Viktualienmarkt.  There I obtained a nice slice of Leberkase for my dinner and came upon some Austrian wine to console myself for my thwarted plans.  It's Gruner Veltiner, a pleasant, slightly fizzy white wine I am drinking as an aperitif.
What's it like, Pil?
I am no wine expert and don't have the vocabulary.  It tastes a bit tartish like apples.
Sometime later . . . I am having another German meal.  This time it's Leberkase and Sauerkraut with the Beer of the Day.  This brew is from the Andechs Monastery and is a Helles Weissbier or white beer, so it's made from wheat and is light on the hops.  Here's a sip.
It's got a definite spicy taste--somewhat like nutmeg or cloves, and very nice it is.  I have a pile of sauerkraut to eat, and I intend to slather my leberkase with that sweet, red mustard I like.
But there's dessert, too!
But first I must tell you about yet another encounter with the transport police.  In Munich no one checks your ticket if you are on the tram, bus or S Bahn--or not usually.  So after my day out and laden with goodies, I hopped the tram for home, making sure I validated my ticket--I was using a ten-ticket strip today.  There was a guy on my part of the tram.  I didn't pay much attention until he addressed me.  I was very surprised at his preemptory tone and explained (auf Deutsch) that I did not speak much German.  I had to repeat myself.
He demanded my ticket, which I handed over feeling very puzzled.  He examined it very closely and then informed me that it was good only for another hour.  He sounded annoyed.
But didn't he see me punch my ticket when I got on?  Now this guy looked kinda like a bum--most adult Germans dress more formally, but I can see where he'd make a great undercover cop to catch freeloaders.  The fine is forty euro by the way, so just don't get caught without your ticket, however easy it may look to you to cheat.
But now . . .
Yes, meine Freunden, it's the Fourth Annual International Chocolate Taste Off!
Yay!  But how did you manage this if you could not get next door to Austria?
On my wanderings about Munich I chanced upon a Swiss chocolate shop, and let me tell you, the place smelled just like Heaven.  The rules are as usual.  I got the highest end and most comparable chocs I could find.
In this corner Germany.  I got my chocs from the famed food shop Dallmayr.  I have chosen a dark chocolate square.  Lovely scent.  Thinned shell and a sort of mazipan or marsipan, i.e. almond paste filling.  Very nice, but not sublime.
Now for Switzerland--same thing, dark chocolate square.  And indeed it is the same thing.  Same thin shell and same filling, but this one is better.  The filling has richer flavor.
Now let's try milk chocolate.
This so-called contest is just an excuse for you to eat chocolates.
What's your point?  Here goes.  The German chocolate has a slightly thicker shell, and a smooth nutty sort of filling.  I like this a lot.
For the Swiss, once again the shell is thicker.  The filling is smooth and coffee flavored.  Although I don't care that much for coffee, I like this, and declare Switzerland the winner with apologies to my host country.

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate tasting! I like mine without fillings, so one can really, really taste that chocolate . . . Hungry now!

    That's too bad about Salzburg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of plain chocolate bars on offer as well.
    I have promised myself that I will get to Salzburg some day. It sounds fabulous, and I loved Austria.

    ReplyDelete