Monday, July 8, 2013

A Walk in the Park


Guten Tag--although Munichers are like the Viennese and say Gruss Gott, so I guess I will, too.
Mondays on these trips are problematical.  Most museums are closed tight, and it's also a Tour de France rest day.  But I needed to do something with myself.
First I enjoyed a long and luxurious breakfast.  I just love breakfast buffets because I could not provide such variety and profusion just for me.  I had two different kinds of dark bread loaded with seeds and thickly spread with creamy cheese and butter from pastured cows.  And that does not take into account the ham.
Then as usual I strolled into the old town.  I fetched up at the Bavarian Castles Information Center just as it opened.  The first order of business was to buy a castles pass.
Oh, there she goes.  Pil, you are going to lecture us about these cards again, aren't you.
Uh.  Yeah.  But seriously they are a wonderful deal.  I got one for two weeks, and it cost me twenty-four euro.  An active and dedicated traveler could make it pay for itself in two days, so even if you are just in the region for a week, it's worth getting. You can get them at the office as I did or at any participating site.  Just google it.
Is the commercial over yet?
My next stop was the post office where I did not make a complete idiot of myself buying stamps in broken German from a kind and patient postal worker.
Then on to the English Garden, which is the main public part in Munich.  It's called the English Garden because it's carefully maintained parkland.  I loved it!  If you want pretty flower beds stroll through the Hofgarten and sit and watch the fountains play.  I did, and it was very pleasant indeed.
But if you want to stroll among the chestnuts and oak trees, view the sun-lit glades, and walk beside free flowing water to hobnob with ducks, the English Garden is for you.  It's huge and one could wander for hours as I did and not cover the whole space.  It is by no means isolated.  It has major bike routes, and many pedestrians--also evidence of horses having passed by.
This would be a wonderful place for a picnic, but if you don't want to tote food or drink--inevitably you will come upon a beer garden.  I may have to go back.
What about the nude sunbathers and the surfers, huh?
Both true.  The English Garden is well provided with water courses, and one of them accommodates surfers who accept observation.  I saw nude sunbathers as well, who do not expect or accept observation.  They disport themselves on the grassy lawns well away from paths.  It's legal, but that doesn't mean I have to approve.  Just so you know, I am indifferent to public nudity.  What horrifies me is the exposure of Northern European skin to the sun!
Feeling refreshed and renewed by my experience walking in this green world, I returned to the city to comparison shop for postcards.  Depending on one's desire to save money or simply avoid being ripped off this is worth doing.  Some stands had the cards at one euro per card.  Others displayed no price at all.  Rather worrying that.  I finally came upon a stand that offered cards for fifty euro cents each--still exorbitant, but the best I could do.
Then I licked windows and poked around stores for a while.  I returned to the market for more honey wine, which I have saved up for tomorrow's aperitif.  For dinner I got some fish and chips from a German outfit called Nordsee.  I came across it in Vienna, so I know the fish and chips are good. Then footsore and worn out by that time I made my way home.
Tomorrow the serious tourist action will start again!

2 comments:

  1. *rubbing hands*

    Bring on the castles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say the Wittelsbachs did not stint themselves when it came to castles and palaces.

    ReplyDelete