Sunday, July 7, 2013

Some Art Ancient and Modern


Guten Tag!
Three people asked me for help today.  I actually did help the elderly man struggling with the locker at the art museum.  The lady and I puzzled over my map, but we couldn't find the place she wanted. For your laugh of the day, you can contemplate me giving advice on beer to the Chinese girl in the grocery store.
And it's true--on weekends quite a few Munichers dress in lederhosen (if male) or dirndl (if female).  If you want to make the scene a lot of stores in the central city sell traditional dress--much of it gorgeous--all of it expensive.
On Sundays some of Munich's museums have a token entrance fee of one euro. I decided to take advantage of this.  After a huge and satisfying breakfast, I set off for the Neue Pinakotheck, which exhibits late nineteenth and early twentieth century paintings--once again largely from the personal collection of the Wittelsbachs.
I like starting early, and I prefer to walk if I can, and central Munich is easily walkable.  Also my first day out I got a map at the Tourist Information Office, so I can find things.  I feared that the museum would be as crowded as the Old Pinakotheck, but I arrived just after opening and while there were plenty of us there, no one was being obnoxious.
Boy I was impressed.  This is an outstanding collection!  Sure, you'll find works by local artists you've never heard of, but the paintings are lovely nonetheless.  And I am not above enjoying genre or historical paintings.  Those Wittelsbachs--they had taste!
But if you want artists you recognize you can find their works on the walls as well.  Highlights include a distinguished selection of Van Gogh, and all the other Impressionists and Post Impressionists are there as well.  I also especially liked the works of the German Romantic painter, Caspar David Friedrich, who specialized in mysterious landscapes.
Then I strolled over to the two museums of Antiquity that face each other like Neo Classical twins across Konigsplaz.  I chose one that turned out to be the sculpture museum of Greek and Roman Art.  The one across the way has vase paintings.  Now I happen to enjoy ancient art, but most of the works in the collection are in poor condition and I guess would be of little interest to the causal observer. The exception is the Barbarini Faun--you can google him--a splendid and rather naughty Hellenistic masterpiece.  I think he's meant to be a garden ornament.  Picture strolling among the flowers, turning a corner, and coming upon that.
I was museumed out, so I strolled up to the Hofburg Garten or palace garden, which is exquisite.  The busker playing violin in the Temple of Diana only added to the atmosphere.
I made my way back to the Hauptbahnhof.  That's the main train station to you non-Germans. Generally stores are closed up tight in Catholic countries on Sunday, but one can usually find something open if there's a large train station in town.  The one in Munich has lots of food stands, restaurants, and--this is worth knowing--a small grocery store open Sunday.
Here we go.  Tell us about the food.
I supplied myself with food previously, but I managed to burn the microwave pasta, so I needed supplies.  I used this as an excuse to buy more beer, and go to a sausage stand for some currywurst, which may be the national dish of Germany these days.  Let's have a bite.
Well?
Lecker!  It doesn't taste like any curry I'm familiar with, but it is mighty tasty.  I can taste sweet mustard--senf in German.  There is a spicy undertone to the sausage, but it's not hot--just rich tasting.  Yep.  I could get used to eating this very easily.  And the Helles style of beer goes along with it just fine.

5 comments:

  1. Imagine bits of the Barberini faun being broken off to hurl at invading armies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *good question!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day well spent, Sandy. And thanks for sharing this. I've been in Berlin and Frankfurt but never Munich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Both Berlin and Frankfurt are on my list. I hope Munich is on yours!

    ReplyDelete