Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rothenburg ob der Tauber


Gruss Gott!
I got home very late--the result of a minor adventure.  I was out on a tour today, and as the bus entered central Munich we came upon an accident where a car decided to dispute the right of way with a tram.  The bus driver managed to squirm us past the knotted up traffic, and we arrived a bit late but none the worse for wear at our stop.  I hopped off, tipped the driver as my fellow passengers did and grabbed some dinner to take home.  Ah how lucky.  There's the tram that will drop me off right at the front door.
Uh.  No.  That accident disrupted just the tram lines I needed, but I did not grasp this essential fact until the tram I'd boarded went in an odd direction--still showing the old stops, but not being anywhere near them.  I got off, crossed the road and went back to the train station.  That's when I realized finally what the deal was.  I grabbed the S Bahn to the nearest stop to my place and walked the rest ten minutes home tired and ravenous.
The moral here, O Potential Travelers, is that sometimes these things happen, and there's no need to panic and always a solution is to be found.
The previous part of the day was lovely.  I took a tour because although it is possible to get to Rothenburg from Munich by train, it involves three changes. The bus rides going and coming were long, but we drove through fertile fields and lush forests.  Following the Romantic Road we also crossed the Danube as well as other historically significant rivers.  Our first stop was Schloss Harburg, which is still owned by the Family.  Unlike Neuschwanstein, this is the real deal as a fortress meant for defense. Interestingly--and this was true in Rothenburg as well--the battlements were enclosed with a roof affair.
Then we drove through a seriously historic countryside.  We skirted Donauworth, and Nordlingen--the latter the sight of a major battle of the Thirty Years War.  We even drove through a gigantic meteor crater, although I would not have realized this given the fifteen million years worth of time and several Ice Ages worth of weathering had not the guide explained.
By the time we fetched up at Rothenburg it was mid afternoon, hot and humid, but the city's charm gave us a good experience.  The place is a tourist trap, but the Germans seem to do them well.  It's a beautifully preserved late Medieval walled city.  I walked the wall circuit, visited churches, licked windows, and ate ice cream.  The town is compact, lovely, and very well worth visiting.  A band concert in the market square just added to the enjoyment of the day.  To add to the charms of a very charming town are some public toilets conveniently located and--best of all--FREE!
Our guide pushed the merit of the local pastry speciality--die Schneeballen or snowballs.  They are everywhere!
So of course you tried them.  Eh Pil?
Or not.  If you want one take ribbons of dough and moosh them into a ball.  Fry same. Once out of the fryer dump powdered sugar on it.  Or for a less traditional take slather them with frosting.  These treats are everywhere, and I have to admit I did not find them in the least appealing.
Rothenburg is in Franconia, a distinct region although officially part of Bavaria.  Franconia is wine country, and I came home with a small bottle of Silvaner.  I'll save it to accompany any goodies I bring home from Nuremburg when I visit there.
The beer of the day is Urtyp.  I have no idea what that means beyond Really Good Beer.  It reminds me of the Hofbrau I had yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. I love that little town so much! You are right that the Germans do tourist trap well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are good reasons why certain places are popular, and one can hardly begrudge people wanting to make a living off the tourist dollar.

    ReplyDelete