Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Staying Local

 Bon jour, mes amies,

Let me take a sip of green tea.  I did not have a big touristing day, but some museums that were closed are going to reopen, and I'd like to visit them.  But meanwhile the stage is on.  A fairly obscure rider is in the leader's jersey, but he won it convincingly, and he's on a strong team, so I hope he can hold on to it for a while. He's from Spain and it's been seven years since a Spaniard has worn the pink jersey.

I went out for groceries this morning and then, since it was a warm and brilliantly sunny day. I strolled around my neighborhood.  I'm situated in the heart of a largely pedestrianized district.  One does have to beware of zooming bicycles, but I had a pleasant, refreshing stroll until I heard the stage calling me.  Subsequent stages will begin later, so I'll have time to shop and tourist around.

Il Giro is riding across Sicily, and apart from the race, I'm in for some lovely scenery and fascinating architecture.

But my neighborhood also presents some intriguing features.  The French have embraced foreign and fusion food.  Monoprix has a sushi bar!  I also see offers of "French tacos," but the photographs do not inspire me to try one.  They don't look anything like tacos, nor do they appear French.  On a previous trip I kept running across "American sandwiches," so I finally asked about them.  French takes on American food are usually good for a chuckle.  It was a hamburger with ketchup and then fries piled in the bun.   I have a Five Guys and a Burger King close by, but a lot of French non-chain places are big on burgers.  They are definitely a thing in Paris.  Thai food seems to be popular in Paris as well.

Well, that walking and talking about food has put me in the mood for Apero.  I have the last of my Livarot, some olives, and some foie gras.  I thought I'd better grab it while supplies last.

No comments:

Post a Comment