Sunday, May 15, 2022

A Sunday Stroll in the Marais

 Bon jour mes amies,

I came back early for the bike race, but also it was getting too hot and muggy for walking.  It's supposed to rain over night, but we'll see.  I seem to have brought Southern California with me because it's been very dry even when rain was in the forecast.

I went out early to get some cash and ran into a (charity?) run, which seemed like quite a big deal.  Hundreds of people wearing badges with different colors and numbers converged on Parc de Nelson Mandala, and there was a live band and all sorts of things going on.  They even had dozens of the French version of porta potties--with really long lines to use.  People with uniforms and flags directed and encouraged the participants.  Clearly from the runners, youth and fitness were not necessary qualifications, but they all looked enthusiastic.

Leaving my sweater behind, I set off for the Marais thinking that things might be a bit more lively there, and this was so.  More things were open, and I also had window licking opportunities.  It was nice to stretch my legs.

But here I am awaiting the stage and drinking green tea.  I'm going to have a apero dinatoire today.  This morning I had my croissant and the last of the divine butter.  I did a good job rationing it out and limiting consumption as I wished to focus more on cheese and foie gras for my French Saturated Fat Experience.  I have black and green olives with herbes de Provence, my tasty goat cheese, foie gras de canard, and plenty of rose, which is an AOC version from the South of France.

I am extremely puzzled as to why a major climb in the Heart of Italy is called Blockhaus.  Maybe the commentators will explain it.  The charming young man currently wearing the leader's jersey is likely to lose it today, but he had a good run and apparently enjoyed bossing the pelaton around.  I resorted to google to satisfy my curiosity, the name of the climb dates back to the bad old days of Austrian occupation before Italy was unified.  A notorious Austrian Commander held the mountain top as his stronghold and the name stuck. And finally the commentators explained it probably due to popular demand.

A demain


No comments:

Post a Comment