Monday, May 2, 2022

A Wander Around the Ile de la Cite and the Left Bank

 Bon jour, mes amies,

I'm refreshing myself with some green tea.  There's no bike race today, but there's a Big One coming up next Friday.

I didn't go to any museums today, but I did do something slightly underhanded in regard to my next visit to the Louvre.  My old museum pass ran out, and I now have a new one, but this morning before I went out to purchase the new pass, I reserved a time at the Louvre.  I'm getting in Saturday morning at opening, and I'm hoping for a better experience.

My morning routine includes an earlier breakfast than the French would consider proper.  I scope out museum openings, use google maps, check the weather, do my dishes and straighten up the place.  I went to the grocery store where once again I triumphed over the automatic check out machine.  Who says you can't teach an old Pil new tricks?  I will discuss a purchase below

Then I made my way down to the Hotel de Ville and the tourist office. Having made my purchase I crossed the Seine, first stopping to note that the H de V will be hosting a food festival at some point soon.  Hmm.  Admission is free, but I'm sure one has to pay for any food and drink.

I wanted to have a closer look at Notre Dame.  Of course, one cannot get close to the site--it's too dangerous, but one can see quite a bit of the work, and the City of Paris has provided a very informative exhibition on the kind and extent of the damage, what they were able to salvage, and the details of the restoration work.  It is truly on a massive scale.  The original construction of these gothic cathedrals appears something like a miracle to begin with.  Now with modern technology and materials, it is still amazing work.  Giant cranes loom over the site.  The flying buttresses have been reenforced with wooden frames.  I saw a guy climbing around on the side of the building.  He looked like a human fly, but I had no idea what he was doing.

There was some kind of Fete de Police going on, so some of the streets were blocked off, but I still strolled Boulevard St. Michel, which is terribly touristy, and just walked around at random seeing some sights and enjoying the pleasant day.  But after a while I get citied out, so I turned for home although I took a round about way.  I was stopped and asked for directions.  The young man was very polite and spoke English, so I could help him.  He was looking for the Pantheon and going the wrong direction.

I bought some more eggs, and they are sitting out on my counter European fashion.  I used to look for eggs in refrigerated sections, but now I know better.  European eggs don't get washed and they can stand to sit out for a bit.  I do put them in the fridge when I hard cook them.

I am having an especially luxurious apero this afternoon, but if foie gras offends you, skip to the next paragraph,  This isn't even pate.  I got a slice of foie gras de canard entier--in other words an unprocessed slice of the duck liver, which is the gold standard of foie gras.  I happen to prefer duck liver, but a real connoisseur goes for goose.  It was a bit expensive--nearly six euro for a small slice, but I wanted to try it.  One serves the stuff lightly chilled on (in my case) a slice of pain Polaine and some cremant.  You'll want a wine with some acidity that can cut through the fatty taste of the liver.  This is very good indeed.  It has a rich, rather nutty flavor.  I cut the already small slice in half, so I'm indulging but not to excess.

For dinner I am having another galette. This time it's with goat cheese and bacon bits, and it's good, but I liked the other one better.

A demain

2 comments:

  1. I made it! Chrome works. Yay! I’ll have to find the streets you wandered on Googlemaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad. See if you can get a street level view on google maps. Sometimes they have it.

    ReplyDelete