Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Charles de Gaulle--Waiting to Board

 Bon jour, mes amies,

I left very early, which meant I was up most of the night packing, etc.  Pretty much right outside my aparthotel is an elevator down to the Paris Metro System.  I did not even have to mess with an escalator.  My trip here went very smoothly.

I found my check in place, managed to use the automated system to print out my boarding pass and luggage tag.  I got in line to check in when the fun began.  The man was very polite, but insistent.  The negative covid test I so proudly presented was not valid.  I got it Monday because I am used to the tests taking a couple of days.  Well, they don't do that in France.  I needed a test the day before or the day of, so I had to get a retest.

This was actually not bad.  I was directed to a tent outside.  I did not have to wait in line, and the results were ready in fifteen minutes.  Negative, of course.

So then I checked in and took the shuttle to L terminal and went through security.  CDG is getting strict.  We did not have to take off our shoes, but they wanted to see my compliant liquids (which haven't been checked for years) and even my kindle (for the first time ever).  I'm used to pulling out my computer, but they also wanted it out of its case.

I stopped in a duty free for a quick squirt of expensive scent.  I have to tell you wherever I am going at whatever airport it is, my departure gate is always, ALWAYS at the furthest reaches of the terminal.  But I'm going to be sitting for a long time, so it's good to get in some walking.

Au revoir!

Update: I am home and jet lagged out of my mind.  I have not slept for more than 24 hours.  Once I got to Los Angeles things went smoothly.  But my boarding did not.  The machine rejected my boarding pass, so I had to go through an extensive security check.  The people were very polite and respectful, and naturally I cooperated, but what was up with that.  On board a very nice young man offered to heft my bag up and down, so that was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment