Saturday, May 7, 2022

Le Louvre Encore

 Bon jour, mes amies,

I had a much better experience.  I got there early, and there was already a longish line, which grew exponentially behind me.  But once they open the Louvre folks are efficient at getting visitors in.  I got to see most of what I wanted, and I didn't need to be in a hurry because the stage of the Giro starts later today.

I had determined that I was going to hit the highlights, and years of teaching Art History have given me the knowledge and eye to pick out the best.  There are a LOT of art works of all kinds in the Louvre, so one needs to direct one's attention wisely.  This meant climbing a lot of stairs.

I went to look at the the Venus de Milo.  I don't like the way she's exhibited.  When I first saw her she was at ground level, and I found the statue to be strikingly beautiful.  I'd seen photos, of course, but seeing her in person like that made me realize why she is so famous.  Now she's up on a pedestal, and I don't think the viewing angle is as effective.

Then off to the paintings.  The galleries were crowded, but they are also spacious, so it wasn't so bad.  Of course, everyone (but me) wants to see Mona, and I guess you have to at least once because it is a truly great painting  I tell people that they really need to see works of art in person because the photos do not convey the subtleties and power of the works, but I make an exception for the Mona Lisa.  The painting is small, you can't get close to it, and you're better off studying a high quality plate.  Also in the main gallery you can find Leonardos you can actually get a good look at like Virgin of the Rocks, St. John, the Virgin and St. Anne, and La Belle Ferronniere.

I'm not going to make a list of all the goodies I got to see, but I was satisfied and not too worn out and even had the gumption to visit the small Asian collection.

I came home via the fancy bakery on Rue St. Honore.  I wish to be a good and proper guest in whatever country I have the privilege to visit.  Here I am in Paris, and it's just plain rude not to eat pastry.  Now one good effect of the Pandemic is that it kept me away from sugar, and in previous visits I would have already been knee deep in macarons and chocolate.  It seems like there's a patisserie on every corner, so there's lots of temptation, but I managed to resist.  But I got a tartlette citron to have for desert because it's the polite and respectful thing to do.

I mean to have said tartlette for desert, but let's have a bite, so you can envy my tastebuds.  Mmmmmm.  There's a thin, sweet, buttery crust, and then the lemon custard filling so rich and creamy.

In other news, I was lucky to get foie gras when I did.  France has been swept by an epidemic of bird flu, which has killed a lot of geese and ducks.  I imagine the shortages will soon become evident.  Michelin starred restaurants are already responding to the crisis.  Only in France, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment