Saturday, October 1, 2022

I Got a Good Walk Anyway

 Bom Dia,

I decided to give myself an easy day after my exertions yesterday.  I identified a target museum nearby--one that featured historic design.  Sounded fun!  And then I planned to spend some money on fancy canned fish.

First I went to the ATM.  Now Lisbon is rife with ATMs.  It seems like there's one on every block--just like the pastry shops.  They are everywhere. But they are stand alones, and I don't quite trust them, so I went to the one by the bank and got my infusion of Euros.  Then I headed to the grocery store for some supplies.  I dropped them off and headed out.

Lisbon is a wonderful walking city, and I found plenty of windows to lick and future opportunities to spend quite a bit of money.  The goods are good.  But I could not find the museum.  I walked the length of the street.  I wondered if I'd mistaken the street and tried others.  I went back home to consult the guidebook and pin point the location on the map.  It just wasn't there.

Fine.  Time for Conservas.  Conservas are the tinned fish--in many varieties and styles that are a famous and highly valued product of the Iberian Peninsula.  Since I more or less follow the Mediterranean Diet, I eat a lot of fish anyway. The shop was floor to ceiling tins of fish and there was more downstairs.  I had a good look around.  One of the shop assistants offered me information and asked where I was from.  Upon hearing I was from the United States he said, "I wish I could go to the United States, but I'm stuck in Portugal."  Uh.  Some of us don't see it that way.  I never know what to say to Europeans who wish to come to the U.S.  "Oh honey," probably wouldn't go over well.

The young woman who rang up my order was charming.  She gave me stickers for my tins and was thrilled when I gave exact change.  I try to do this if I can because some one in Paris last spring mentioned a coin shortage.  She also gave me an enthusiastic wine recommendation. The best known Portuguese wine, apart from Port, is Vinho Verde (which is a white wine with a green tint), and you can find it at Trader Joe's among other places.  Anyway she wanted me to try a particular region, which produces a Vinho Verde that is dry and especially fruity.  So I'll look for it.

Hey, Pil, what did you buy?

Well, I played it safe this time.  I got some smoked salmon and fancy tuna, but I intend to branch out.  Gotta get those Omega 3s

My apero is the rest of the ham and some green olives I got at the grocery store.  Beware the pits.  I also have to finish off the red wine before it goes bad.  I haven't decided what to have for dinner.  It probably won't be exciting.

Since I don't have a museum to report on, I'll discuss the city.  I knew very little about Lisbon before I came and did some minimal research and picked a place to stay pretty much at random.  And I got lucky because this area is the best place to stay for a tourist.  It's very walkable, and I can get to most places on foot.  The buildings are beautiful. Some are covered in painted ceramic tiles.  It's touristy, which is fine with me--I'm a tourist, and some of the shops are positively elegant.  I can easily find anything I need within a very short walk. I have not encountered a Portuguese person who did not speak excellent English, and they have all been kind and gracious. 

Drivers are very polite to pedestrians and will stop to let one cross the street even if they have the green light!  I was bewildered by this at first.  Also at crosswalks with traffic lights, what I call Paris Rules are in effect.  If the light is red, but there is no on coming traffic, go ahead and cross.

In short, I'm glad I came.  Truthfully, I was anxious about plunging into an unknown place and was sorely tempted to return to a city I was familiar with.  Going somewhere new was a decided challenge, and I am very happy that I took it up.

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment