Saturday, October 15, 2022

Casa-Museu Medeiros e Almeida

 Bom Dia,

Actually there's a twofer because I also visited a park.  But first--dessert!  Portugal's national pastry and Lisbon's favorite is Pasteis de nata.  It originated in Belem, and there's a famous shop there, but pastries of all sorts are ubiquitous in Lisbon and not just in the tourist zone.  I pass a big, fancy one on my way to and from the metro, so when I came back, I stopped in and obtained one.  If you have ever had an English "Maid of Honor" you are thinking along the right lines.

Shall we have a bite?

You always say "we" and yet you never share.

Too hard to do so through the screen.  We have tender flakey pastry surrounding a custard filling.  You can get them in flavors, but I think the basic custard is really good.  A bit eggy and not too sweet.

I took the metro to Marques de Pombal, the metro stop so called because there's a big monument to him in a roundabout.  He's definitely one of Portugal's national heroes.  I had never heard of him until I came here and learned about his efforts at earthquake relief.  He came up with a lot of creative solutions.

I came early deliberately because I wanted to stroll in Lisbon's biggest city park, Eduardo VII.  Yes, it was named in honor of King Edward VII after he visited to renew the ancient alliance made way back in the Middle Ages between England and Portugal.  I had a pleasant time walking under the shade trees and enjoying the green space.

But then it was time to attend the museum.  I fetched up in Bougie Land with a lot of banks, luxury hotels, and designer shops.  I found the museum with no problem and got a senior discount. No one wants to see my passport. They take my word for it that I'm old. Sigh.

It's a lovely museum, and I had it all to myself.  Senhor Medeiros e Almeida was born into wealth and made even bigger bucks as a car dealer.  He described his "disease of collecting," but if this is sickness we need more of it.

I was hoping for period rooms--which I got, but the museum also features a fine collection of Late Medieval wood carvings, snuff boxes, jewelry and an amazing array of watches and clocks.  In one room was an exhibit of European fans complete with an explanation of "fan language."  The table in the dinning room is set with a dinner set that once belonged to Napoleon.  I also appreciated the beautiful Chinoiserie from the Ming and Qing Dynasties.  The period rooms are lovely and well set up more or less chronologically.  This is definitely worth a visit.

Now that we have had dessert, it's time for apero.  I have some rose and that soft cheese I have come to love. I toast some bread and it melts on top so I can spread it.  Yum!

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment