Saturday, October 8, 2022

Belem: Palacio Nacional de Ajuda

 Bom Dia,

Although I got some decent sleep I woke up with a vivid nightmare where I went to the airport and managed to do everything wrong.  I left too late for my early flight and then despite increasingly desperate attempts, I could not find my gate.  Then I knew I'd missed my fight, but I couldn't find anyone to help me rebook.  It took me a few seconds to sort myself out once I realized I was awake

I'm writing my blog while listening to a bike race.  It's Il Lombardia, one of those loooong one-day races.  I could go out and not have to rush back knowing there would be a lot of race to go when I got home.  I'm looking forward to the showdown between Jonas Vingegaard and Tadej Pogacar, their first race meeting since Jonas trounced Tadej in the Tour de France.  Tadej won the race last year, so he may have the edge this time.

I had to take a bus to reach my target, but the ride there and back went without a hitch.  This is a rare and precious event! In fact the bus dropped me off right outside the Palace.  This is the place the Portuguese Royal Family built for themselves after the earthquake damaged their former home.  It is magnificent and built in a Neo Classical style. Hot puppies! I thought, this is going to be good.

I found the entrance and got my ticket--asking for the senior discount.  I had to go through security, and at first they weren't going to let me take my umbrella in, but after inspecting it, they relented.  I scanned my ticket to get in and took the elevator up to the third floor where I found the Royal Treasures.

The exhibit hall was kept very dark, but what I saw was the Royal Regalia of Portugal, plus a lot of glittering gems, giant nuggets of gold, orders of honor and a lot of such like.  This was nice.  I was there for the state rooms.  Where were they?

And I looked.  I followed the arrow for the North Hall.  It was bare and blocked off. I tried other floors.  Nada.  No signs.  So I made for the exit feeling that I had come a long way for very little.  I had to scan my ticket to get out.  It's a security measure to keep track in case someone wants to hide in the museum and make off with some of those treasures.

I'm having green tea with my apero of olives and Portuguese ham.  The latter is sooo goood!  But it's also so fatty I feel naughty eating it.  I'm hoping that the green tea will counteract some of the saturated fat.

Bye for now

P.S.  Tadej takes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment