Friday, October 7, 2022

Belem: Museu Nacional dos Coches

 Bom Dia, 

Let me take a bite of apero first. It's some of that fancy, somewhat stinky cheese I got at the gourmet store.  I put it on toast and it melted.  Mmmmmm.  Very good!  It has a semi sharp, complex flavor.  I'll take a sip of the Vinho Verde Rose.

Now for the day's activities.  I had some chores to take care of like toping off my travel card and going to the grocery store.  Then I walked down Rua de Augusta to get the tram at Praca do Comercio.  I did not have to wait long.  I wear a mask on public transportation.  There are always a few of us who do.  Some conductors came around to do a ticket check, and some tourists without ticket struggled to get them from an apparently malfunctioning machine.  One can get ticket on board.  It's cheaper and easier to get them beforehand.

The trip to Belem is long and kind of boring, but worth it. I was lucky to be on a tram that displayed stops, so I knew just where to get off.   All I had to do is cross the street and I was there.  I started at the old museum, and it was nice because I had it to myself.  The ticket guy kept asking me if I wanted a combo ticket to see boats. Uh no. I have no interest in boats.  Then I figured out he was saying both and offering me a combo ticket as the museum comes in two parts.  He also asked me if I was over 65 and wanted a senior discount.  Yes, I did, but I was a little irritated that I didn't have to ask and provide proof of age.

I get a huge kick out of coaches, and the exhibit is well displayed.  Most of the coaches in both museums belonged to the Royal Family of Portugal, and oh boy, are they grand and elaborately decorated.  And also maybe hellish to ride in over rough tiled and cobbled streets before the development of effective suspension.  The old museum is in a vast and beautiful room with an upstairs gallery with portraits of the Royal Family.  I did not know who most of these people were, but it was still fun.

I crossed the street to the new museum where most of the tourists started.  I marveled at the size and grandeur of the coaches and wondered how many horses it would take to pull the thing along even at a slow pace.  The decorations on all the royal and noble coaches is highly symbolic and is meant to send a message to the awestruck viewers about the power and virtue of the occupants.

There are less elaborate vehicles meant for tooling around town on display as well.  Royal children had miniature versions for going about the gardens of their palaces.  Many of the "modern," i.e. Nineteenth Century couches were designed and built in London, but one especially fancy version belonged to Pope Clement XI.

I got the tram back feeling very satisfied with my excursion.

All I wanted was for the trash and recycling taken out.  Now I'm getting clean sheets which is a good thing I guess and clean towels, and heaven knows what else.  How long is this going to take?  The ladies were very nice even though I cannot understand a word of Portuguese, but my floors are wet, but I guess it's good to have everything clean although I would have done it myself or most of it.

For dinner I am having microwaved potatoes doctored up with seasoning and sardine pate.  This is actually better tasting that it sounds.  Pink Vinho Verde goes well with it.

Here's the rePORT!  Ha ha ha ha ha ha. It's ruby port, which is the kind I am most familiar with.  Yes, it taste's familiar. There's nothing special about this, but I am not dealing in anything vintage.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment