Sunday, October 9, 2022

Museu do Teatro Romano

 Bom Dia.

I always like visiting a city's roots, especially when, like Lisbon, the city is a Roman foundation.  Called at first merely Olispo, and Emperor Augustus granted the place the honorific name of Olisipo Julia Felicitas. After trams and busses I was looking for something I could walk to, and this site fitted the bill--even though I knew it was going to be all uphill.

But first I went grocery shopping.  One convenient feature of Lisbon is that most stores are open on Sunday, so if I needed more hummus or to top off my Ginja supply, nothing was easier.

Then I mapped out my route and set off. Uphill. I don't like it, but I can do it.  I got a little turned around because the signposting of streets is a bit inconsistent, but I had my map and soon sorted myself out finding an even steeper hill to climb to my target.  One funny thing.  People have begun to ask me for directions, which I am usually unable to give, especially if the request is not in English.  I tried to help someone get to a train station yesterday, but my pointing and Spanish did not do a thing.  The guy who asked me this morning kinda laughed and shrugged when I told him in English that I was a tourist and did not speak Portuguese.

I enjoyed the museum.  Compared to other Roman sites, I have visited, it's offerings are modest, but it doesn't cost much and the exhibits are well presented even if they have to be eked out by some works by local artists.  Across the street is a related archeological site that you could peek into for free.

I started for home.  It is NOT easier going down hill, and my knees still haven't forgiven me for that day in Naples when I had to take five billion stairs down when the metro stopped working.  I decided to take another route home, so I could see a bit more of the city and go window licking.  So it was a nice albeit shorter day out.

And now it's time for Apero.  Today's offering is some toast (I found really good Portuguese bread!) with some of that cheese from the gourmet shop and a little vinho blanco DOC from Alentejo.  Very nice.  For dinner I'm going to have some more of this wine with some linguine I intend to mix with some tuna conservas.  It's packed in olive oil so that adds to the flavor and makes a nice sort of sauce.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but good ingredients make it special.

There's another bike race on, but it doesn't start until later--and there's rain in the forecast.  Wheee!


No comments:

Post a Comment