Monday, October 3, 2022

Belem: Museu Colecao Berardo

 Bom Dia,

Let's get straight to apero, shall we?  I stopped at a shop on my way home and picked up a cod cake with cheese.  I just had a bite.  Pretty darned tasty.  You have to like fish and cheese.  I do.  At the grocery store this morning I was tempted by some Vinho Verde, but mine is rose.  It's turned hot and humid, so this should be especially refreshing.  Shall we have a sip?

You say "we" a lot, but you selfishly keep all this food and drink for yourself.  Phooey.

Mmmm.  I'm afraid I didn't hear you.  I'm too immersed in this delicious Portuguese specialty.  The fish cake is slightly crunchy, but then one gets too the ooey gooey cheese filling.  Yumsy.  I'm trying to work up to bacalhau, which is the dried salt cod.  It's kind of scary really, and smells very fishy.

I topped up my travel card and strolled down to Praca do Comercio where I picked up (a modern) Tram 15E that would take me to Belem.  I'll be going there a lot this week because there are some major historical sights that are on Lisbon's must see list.  It was kind of a long ride out, and I wasn't sure where to get off, but I recognized a historical landmark that I intend to visit tomorrow when it's open, that I was pretty sure was near my target.  I was right and after a bit of a walk I came upon the Museu Colecao Berardo.

It was my first stop in Belem because it's Monday and most museums are closed.  This one is dedicated to Twentieth Century art and was the brain child of zillionaire banker Jose Berardo.  Apparently the museum is not well known, but the collection and display are impressive.  Placards in Portuguese and English introduce and describe each style.  The visitor is directed through the exhibit in chronological order, so it's like a course on Modern Art History.  I found this very useful.  The collection includes at least one work by most of the major artists of the mid and late Twentieth Century.

Good examples of Abstract Expressionism, Cubism, Dada, Surrealism as well as Pop Art are on offer.  Now my tastes run more towards Renaissance and Baroque, but I found some of the works very compelling. For some reason I can't fathom the geometric works of Malevich and Modrian speak to me.  Go figure.

I found the tram stop and came back and snooted around a few touristy shops near Parca do Comercio, but it was hot and humid, and I was getting hungry.  We'll be visiting Belem again tomorrow.

And that cod cake with cheese was really good.  I'll have to go back for more.

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment