Friday, September 30, 2022

Tramming to a Castle

 Bom Dia,

When I visit Europe there is nothing I like better than visiting a castle.  I'm talking about true fortress, which may or may not be in various states of ruin.  I spotted Castelo Sao Jorge on one of my walks and instantly said to myself, "I have to go there."  So I did.  Now theoretically it is possible to walk to said castle, but let's be real here.  Serious castles are built on hilltops for surveillance and defense.  Walking miles up hill is not fun, especially when there is an alternative mode of transport that is fun.

Lisbon is famous for its trams. Some are modern and sleek like those in other European cities like Nice and Munich, but the trams that ply the steep narrow streets in Central Lisbon are small and look like antiques.  The most well known route is Tram 28E, but it's always packed with tourists and reportedly infested with pickpockets, so I opted for Tram 12 E which takes the same route.  But it's pretty well known, too, so I had to wait because the first tram got filled up.  Quite a few people put on masks for the public transport.

But first I had to provide myself with a ticket.  One can buy a ticket (for a higher price) on board, but I did not want to do this.  I walked over to my local metro stop.  Now when I bought my metro ticket on first arrival I took an option I did not understand, which turned out to be the right one.  My ticket can be topped up, and it's laughably easy to do using the machine.  I just need to find one that takes cash.

The tram ride is justly considered an experience in itself.  The streets are so narrow and steep!  And the tram is a rattletrap, but it's a great way to see new Lisbon neighborhoods.  I got off at the correct stop and admired the view, then headed up hill.   In true Pil fashion I got turned around and took the long way up.  There was a long line to get a ticket, but that was Ok because I could catch my breath.  I also scored a senior discount, which I take advantage of when one is on offer.

The hill top was originally fortified by the Moors, but I am convinced that the Lusitanians had a hilltop fort there first.  The Kings of Portugal made the castle their royal seat and remodeled it.  The place was abandoned as a royal residence after the Great Earthquake.  Very little remains of the past splendor, but there's plenty to see in one's wanderings.  For one thing the views over the city are spectacular!  The curtain wall and the inner keep are in good shape.  You could climb some towers and walk on the walls.  You can encounter peacocks and stroll among olive trees.  It was cool and breezy, and I was delighted by my choice.

I walked down hill to get the tram back.  My legs are going to ache tomorrow, but it was worth it.

I really went to town on that Portuguese ham yesterday, so I'm going to cut back on the saturated fat today.  I hard boiled some eggs this morning and had one as my apero with the addictive Ginjia, which apparently pronounced Zhinzha.  I fear Portuguese pronunciation will defeat me.  This stuff is Very Very Tasty, but best consumed in small doses.

What's for dinner, Pil?

I brought some linguine with me, and I thought it would go well with some of that superior canned tuna I got.  The tuna is packed in olive oil to begin with, and I can doctor it up with some garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes that I packed.  I'll wash it down with that nice white wine I got yesterday.

Bye for now


No comments:

Post a Comment