Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The End of This Stay

Buon Giorno,
Because I'm not yet done with Rome just as I am not yet done with Paris and London, and I haven't even started on some places I long to visit.
I am sorry to report that some of my neighbors this go around with the shared kitchen are not as considerate as last time.  When I went to get my breakfast I found the kitchen counters dirty and a pot with yucky dried up pasta in it.  I wiped down the counters and put the pot to soak, but I'm not going to do their dishes for them--and I have a pretty good idea who they are--hint: a "y" chromosome is involved, and they are young.
The weather was a few degrees cooler today, which I found refreshing.  I began with a trip to the local grocery store.  I am leaving very early tomorrow, so mostly what I wanted was a snack for the airport and some whole wheat crostini to take home with me because I think it would be lovely with goat cheese spread on it.  I'll find a place for it in my luggage somehow.
Then I took my usual trip down to the Metro.  I'd gotten a forty-eight hour pass yesterday, so I did not have to worry about the ticket.  I hopped off at Octaviano because I wanted to visit the bankomat of my bank's Italian partner. That done, I reboarded the Metro headed for Termini.
Termini is the Rome's main train station, and I'll be going there tomorrow morning to get the train for the airport, but this time my goal was two major museums that are next door or across the street from the station.  I would call them both project museums because they have huge collections.
People who do not share my avid appetite for antiquities are advised to focus on the Museo Nationale Romano Massimo alle Terme.  The words "treasure trove" often used of the collection are not at all misapplied.  The collection is so large that not all of it can be exhibited at once so some pieces are swapped in and out.  I visited last time I was in Rome, but I saw some works I had not seen before.  I was a bit spoiled in Naples. The statutes here are mostly not as in good condition but are still worth seeing.  The Hellenistic bronzes of The Prince and The Boxer are first rate.  They also have a Roman copy of The Discus Thrower in prime condition.  I happen to enjoy Roman portraiture, so I found plenty.  I also love mosaics.  Rome has better mosaics than Naples--don't tell!  The highlight of the many fabulous frescos for me was Livia's Garden, a Second Style garden scene that gives a 3D illusion and is lovely and naturalistic.  If you like coins and jewelry, and I do, you will find wonderful exhibitions of both.
I got a combo ticket, so when I left Massimo, I headed over to the Museo Nationale Romano Terme di Diocleziano for more antiquities.  The baths built by the Emperor Diocletian were repurposed as a monastery, but enough of the original fabric remains to give the visitor an idea of what it was like.  The collection in this museum is more geared to every day Roman life.  No great works of art appear, but if you want to know how Romans wrote, worshiped, honored their dead, and tried to control their luck with magic, you will find this a worthwhile project.
Going down stairs, I had to be a bit stern with my knees, but we have come to an accommodation.  I stopped off at the upscale mall across from the Metro. I went up to the food court to see if I could see the Dome of St. Peter's.  I could a bit.
I'm going to miss being able to indulge my appetite with huge piles of pasta, etc.  (But, meh, my cheese clumped just like it does at home.  No smooth sauce for me in Rome.) I've been walking a lot, but tomorrow I'm just sitting on planes.
Thank you for sharing my journey!
Grazie e Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment