Sunday, October 27, 2019

Napoli a Roma

Buon Giorno,
I'm home in Rome.  Let me sink into my apero and relax.  They remember me here from my stay about two years ago, and people seem really glad to see me, so that's nice.
Fortunately, I noticed the time change in the EU from daylight savings to standard on my cell phone and computer.  I could have gotten all kinds of messed up from not realizing what had happened.
I had a quick, smooth trip although I had to manage my own bags this time, but in fact I did manage without injuring myself or anyone else.
The walk to the station was as usual except for my having to drag my bags and negotiate curbs and motorcycles.
I was on the fast train, and it actually left on time and arrived at Rome Termini early!  I know the drill for the Metro--in fact I know it for many European capitals, and could probably handle any metro system in any city.
I was thrilled when I reached my stop.  The escalators had been repaired and were working! I was dreading having to carry my bags up the stairs (and down again when I leave in three days), but all is well.
I felt relieved being back in my placid Rome neighborhood.  The historic center of Rome is intense!  But I'm on the outskirts.  I checked in, dumped my bags, and walked back to the big supermarket at the fancy shopping mall across from the Metro.  I laid in supplies for my short stay.
This particular store is a real supermarket with lots of good goodies, and I found everything I needed although I had to hunt around for it.  Alas, my elderly, fragile digestion precludes trying a lot of enticing things.
Right now I'm having some crostini with prosciutto crudo and some Prosecco.  I have options for my dinner.  It will be pasta, but I can choose my sauce, and I have some rose to go with it.  I also brought back the olive oil I bought in Naples.  It was too good to throw away, but I did not want to drag a heavy glass bottle with me. I don't recommend treating olive oil this way normally, but I poured it into a plastic bottle and wrapped it in a plastic baggie against leaks.
I settled on Amatriciana, made with quick cooking capellini and prepared sauce from the cooler.  I've had it before, and I like it.  It's a Roman classic and goes well with the rose.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment