Sunday, October 13, 2019

Sunday in Rome

Buon Giorno,
I came back early due to fatigue and the desire to see a bicycle race, but I guess the site isn't authorized for this region. I can see it when I get back.  Also my room hasn't been done yet.  Sunday is the day they clean and reorganize the kitchens on each floor.  I did take off my contacts, and obviously I grabbed my computer.
Also I was wrong about no beggars on the Metro.  I encountered one today probably because it's Sunday.  A disheveled woman toting a baby entered the carriage pleading in a loud voice.  Begging must pay or people would do it, but no one in our carriage gave her anything but dirty looks.
Since I'm here, I needed some supplies, so I took a trip to the grocery store.  European laws have relaxed recently. Sunday openings except for a few businesses used to be forbidden.  Now a lot of stores are open, and groceries are usually open half of the day.  This made it easier for me as I did not have to go scrounging for fast food.  I love foreign grocery stores.  I might not buy much, but I sure do look at the goodies on offer.
I can have the rest of the Est Est Est for apero and dinner wine.  Breaking the bucatini in half worked for me, so I'll do that again.
I strolled out to the Metro and took it out to San Giovanni.  St. John Lateran, not St. Peter's, is the Cathedral of Rome, and it's a Very Impressive Church.  I visited it last time, and I wanted to see it again.  This being Sunday, a service was in progress, but one could still visit.  We had to go through security though.
I had another church in mind, too, so I went back to Termini to catch a bus.
You like living dangerously, Pil.
Maybe.  But none of the information sites I looked at mentioned this particular line doesn't run on Sundays.  I had some options.  I decided first to figure out where to get my ticket tomorrow and what information I could find as to train times.  I did this.  Trains are frequent, and apparently there's a senior discount that I can take.
Then I wandered around Termini Station, which like many train stations is chaotic, and the existence of  a big shopping center merely adds to the atmosphere of hurry and distraction.  You can get food and drink for your journey, of course, but it seems that travelers may be impulsive because an awful lot of high end brands want to sell you something to take along.
I shamelessly waltzed into a perfume shop attracted by the name Capri, which is the name of an island the in the Bay of Naples.  A quick squirt later and I emerged smelling of fresh lemon.  Very nice indeed.  I'm not going to pay the asking price to smell that way though.
I also snooted around Sephora and a couple of other stores then made my way to the Metro and home.  I'll take things up again once I can get into my room.
And here I am with my apero.  The Est times three is very nice with prosciutto crudo.  I don't eat pork at home because I like pigs as animals as well as meat.  The EU treats its food sources better than we do because of their long-tested traditions of production.
Dinner tonight is bucatini halves Bolognese.  "Real"sugo de Bologna is rich, slow cooked, meat heavy, fatty, and very, very involved.  I pulled this off the grocery store shelf, so not authentico.  But our taste buds should be the judge.
So here's judging.  This is an industrialized mass produced product.  That doesn't mean it's bad.  I like it just fine.  Just don't expect what Nonna used to make.  And Est times 3 is not the optimal wine to have with it.  Try a slightly sweet, slightly sparkling Lambrusco.  Really.
Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment