Saturday, April 14, 2018

Some Fragments of Ancient Rome


Ciao!
I am sure that young man in front of the Termini Station had a truly excellent reason for dressing up in a carrot suit.  At any rate he was smoking up a storm and talking loudly on his cell phone.  All Italians, it seems, talk loudly on their cell phones--just like everyone else.
And here's another thing.  It was quite warm today.  I and other tourists were walking around in thin, short sleeved T shirts.  Our hosts wore thick, padded jackets and scarves wound around their necks. I have observed this before in other parts of Italy, so it isn't just Romans.  I am at a loss to account for this phenomenon.
What's this have to do with Ancient Rome, Pil?
Not a thing.  Also Italians kept asking me for directions.  Sometimes I understood the question and could point or say something in simple English that got the job done.  Other times I just had to cop to being a tourist.
Is there food involved in Ancient Rome?
Your questions are interrupting my Aperitivo!
I am still not over the jet lag, but I can function, so I went to two big museums today and wallowed in Antiquity.  First off I had some errands.  Most stores close up tight in Rome on Sunday, so I had to lay in supplies.
Aperitivo supplies?
And breakfast and dinner, too.  I also had to get a new transportation pass. Then off to the Museo Nazionale Romano: Palazzo alle Terme, which houses an extensive and excellent collection of Roman sculpture, mosaics (love them!) and frescos as well as other artifacts.  All exhibits are labeled and explained in English--not that I needed that ahem.  Highlights include the vivid Hellenistic bronze of the Boxer and the wonderful Second Style or wall filling fresco of Livia's Garden.  It is just stunningly gorgeous, and I got to have the room all to myself.  I also enjoyed the fabulous mosaics.  But it's a big museum crammed with stuff.  I wanted to see everything; you may not.
Then I crossed the street to the Therme de Diocletian.  This particular emperor was not Italian and was too smart to live in Rome in the late Third Century, but he still built the largest bathhouse complex in the city.  As the place was repurposed as a Christian monastery, it's still in remarkable condition and is worth visiting for the building alone.  But as it happens the exhibits within are fascinating. The museum is dedicated to illuminating the everyday life of Ancient Romans, and if you are interested in their religious practices, or writing utensils, or jewelry, then this is the place for you.  I had an interesting experience walking out into a large cloister--as I mentioned the place became a monastery--and I suddenly felt uplifted. I decided that the feeling arose from the harmonious design and lovely proportions of the area.
Well, duh, Pil. It was designed by Michaelangelo.
Oh, so you saw the same sign I did?
Yeah. Right. Aperitivo!
I am having some nicely chilled Prosecco and some olives.  I only did two museums, but I walked a lot!  I have my crostini, too, spread with some ricotta with slices of prosciutto crudo laid upon it.  Mmm. So nice.  I avoid cured meat at home, but it made traditionally in Europe, and I do like it and figure it won't hurt me.
And what's for dinner?
I have some left over gnocchi and some left over pesto.  That sounds tasty, and a lot of Italian food is easy to make.  I got some local Lazio (Ancient Latium the province where Rome is located.) white wine Denominazione di Origine Controlata, so even the cheapo stuff is going to be good.  To cook gnocchi essentially one boils water then dumps in the gnocchi and then waits until the little dumplings rise to the surface.  Spoon them out into a bowl and dress them as you like.  I'll add extra Parmesan to mine.


2 comments:

  1. Now to go look up Diocletians Baths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, but then there are Caracalla's so maybe I'll have to compare!

    ReplyDelete