Saturday, April 21, 2018

Natale di Roma--The Birthday of the City of Rome


Ciao!
April 21st as it is here is the official birthday of the City of Rome.  It's also confusingly referred to as the Christmas of Rome, but the pagan foundation of the city has nothing to do with Christianity.  According to legend rather than history Romulus plowed the limits of the city in 753, and years were dated from ab urbe condito, the founding of the city.  Archeology tells us that the Seven Hills were inhabited before that date.
Celebrations will take place at various parts of the city, and one material benefit for me is that several museums are free on this day.  But I have been touristing hard, so this weekend I am going to take it a little easy.  I have to walk around, of course, and I need to do something historic, but I began my day with a trip to the new and giant grocery store in the mall.
Whew Hypermercato! As readers of this blog know I love snooting around grocery stores.  This one is impressive in some ways, but not as over the top as the one in Bologna.  For example there is only one aisle of pasta, but the store makes up for it with two aisles of cheese.  Apart from raw ingredients, there are prepared dishes, and many specialty counters.  As this was the grand opening, special offers abounded.  I came away with two bottles of wine, a package of tortellini, and some sauce for under ten euros.  The mall is across from the metro station, so it's a fair step there and back, so I'm likely to be patronizing my local grocery for the most part, but the hypermercato might be handy for picking things up in the afternoon to take home.
After dumping my takings off I went back to the metro, mailed some postcards, and rode into town.  I spent a lot of the day being lost, but I finally fetched up at the Museo de Ara Pacis, where I got in for free in honor of the day.  The Ara Pacis or Altar of Augustan Peace is a marble structure dedicated to Pax and given to Augustus by the Senate after his return to Rome at the finish of the Civil Wars.  Some of the relief panels were scattered.  For instance, Villa Medici has some I saw in the gardens, and a few are at the Vatican.
The reliefs depict an idealized Roman Society using the Julio-Claudian Family.  Augustus as high priest performs a sacrifice in perfect poise and propriety surrounded by his reverent and respectable (Yeah right) family.  It's a beautiful and high class piece of propaganda.
I have crossed the Tiber many times, but today I did it on foot.  I strolled about licking windows here and there when I came across a Sicilian Bakery.  Holy Cannoli!  Yes I got a couple of the crispy sweet shells, one filled with plain cream and one with pistachio creme.  I had them with a cup of tea, and both were divine.
I will have aperocena as I do not feel like cooking.  If spring is this hot, what must summer be like?  If you visit the city in whatever time of year, you are likely to come across those guys in legionary or gladiator outfits who will offer to pose for photos. What they are doing is in fact illegal because of course they want money, and some of them are very aggressive, and some of them if they get your camera will hold it for ransom.

4 comments:

  1. The Ara Pacis Museum was under construction when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The building it is in is--controversial, but the exhibit was good. I appreciate your reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's interesting about the gladiator cos-players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see them around a lot, but I have become expert at blowing off touts, etc.

    ReplyDelete