Saturday, September 9, 2017

Wallowing in History and Food


Bonjour Mes Amies,
I found it amusingly ironic that my first birthday in retirement falls on a Saturday.  Usually I was so caught up in the the start of school--trying to get my courses organized, frantically trying to learn my students' names, learning new software and policies--that I barely thought of it on the day.  We celebrated the weekend after.  Now I am at leisure, and of course I can celebrate my actual birthday, which I share with the Emperor Aurelian, Cardinal Richelieu, William Bligh of the Bounty and the State of California.   Hmm.  Not sure there's an astrological pattern there.
It's raining, which I regard as a lovely birthday treat and can only wish I could send some home to my sweltering and desiccated friends.  Since rain was in the forecast, I could plan this time, so I had a nice activity lined up. As I have mentioned Lyon is famed for its silk industry and weavers.  I went to the Museum of Textiles and since it was right there also the Museum of Decorative Arts.
One great thing about settling in a place is that one gets to know one's way around and one--meaning I--stop getting lost every time I set foot out the door.  I had a nice walk in the cool morning and gently falling rain.  I came across a market and of course I had to visit it--just checking, you know.
I found my target museums easily, bought my ticket, and started in.  The textile museum is amazing.  It's all high-end fabric art both weaving and embroidery.  The cloths look like paintings as they are so detailed and complex. I had to put on my glasses and get close to the works to see the teensy tiny threads.  I have so little fine motor control these days, I can barely sign my own name.  The skill and the time it took to create these fantastic pieces of cloth leave me in awe.
Then on to the Museum of Decorative Arts where I found one right after another a lot of period rooms.  I love these, and whoever designed them did an excellent job. The rooms had harmonious color schemes with an interesting variety of shapes and textures.  Just the right amount of furniture and decoration was in each.  I saw several pieces that would do nicely in my condo. I really enjoyed this, and I also like looking at fine old china and picked out some tea sets. But the French are like everyone else in Europe--really narrow minded about me making off with their national treasures.
Happy Birthday, Pil.  I bet you planned something Really Special for a birthday dinner. Eh?
Well, yes. I wanted to try something I've never had before, so I thought I'd get and cook quenelles and try the fish kind.  I can do that next week.  I came across something I liked better.
What could that be?
Well.  Do you remember how obsessed I was with macarons when I was in Paris last time?
You mean the new French President?
That's so cute.  Macarons are a kind of cookie.  They are Still A Thing.  One can find them everywhere, but I am done with them--except---I came across--savory macarons.  Instead of being made with sugar and filled with ganache they have other stuff.
Are you ready for a savory macaron?
I guess.
This one is filled with cepes--that's mushroom to you.  And it wasn't what I was expecting. The shells are still the same and sweet but the filling had almost a chocolate quality.  It was really good and not exactly like the macrons I'd had before.  I am liking this so far.
Are you having wine with dinner, Pil?
As usual when I'm in France. And before you ask, I bring wine stoppers with me, so I can keep a bottle two or three days.  Today I'm drinking cremant which is a non Champagne sparkling wine.  I like champagne, too, and drink it when I can, but I am not interested in paying for it and other sparkling wines please me as much.  On to the next macaron.  I have one with a goat cheese filling and the shell is encrusted with sesame seeds.
Oh Yum!  This one is good, too.  The combo of sweet shell and salty creamy filling is fantastic.
Ok.  I'm not sure what this next one is.  The filling smells spicy like gingerbread.  Let's have a bite.  It tastes like gingerbread, too.  It's good.  Not my favorite because it's too sweet and not savory enough. We proceed to the last one filled with pate de foie gras de canard.
I am predicting you'll like it.
That's a pretty safe bet, but let's test it out.  It's ok.  I can taste the pate, but I really like the mushroom and cheese ones better.  This one is a bit bland in comparison.  But hey!  Since I had Birthday Week and there's plenty of September left, why not continue with Birthday Month?
A demain.

2 comments:

  1. Birthday month, even better idea!

    Happy birthday! Glad you had a feast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now that it's Birthday Month the feast continues but probably with less saturated fat.

    ReplyDelete