Thursday, September 14, 2017

Art of the Apero



Bon Jour Mes Amies,

It's positively stormy today, so I did not go far afield.  The most exciting thing I did was go to the big grocery store in the basement of Monoprix at the giant mall.  Monoprix is the French Target, and a very useful store to know about.
If you ever wondered why Europeans go food shopping so often as do I when in Europe the answer is simple, and no it's not the love of fresh, fresh food.  Refrigerators are small even in houses.  The big double door fridges are virtually unknown for domestic use.  In apartments they are small ones like mine that don't hold much.  Moreover for stores in town, there are no parking lots, so it's not like home where I can wheel my shopping cart out to my car and load up.  In fact most grocery stores in town don't have shopping carts.  You can pick up a carry basket or a wheelie basket.  And just like now in California, one is expected to bring a bag--or you can buy one.  The customer also bags the goods herself.
People walk or take public transportation so carrying a lot of stuff at once is just not practical.  Stores do deliver though, and if you want a more American Experience you can always go to the HyperMarket Centers on the edges of cities.  They have big parking lots and McDonalds, too!
But since I am sitting around this afternoon instead of touristing, I thought I'd do an apero. 
Because this blog aims at being educational, I will explain the concept which is pretty much Pan Continental European.  It's generally a social occasion and can take place at a home or cafe.  My readers are my company.  Relax. It's all casual.  We'll have a little alcohol and some snacks before dinner.  The French normally don't drink cocktails unless they are out to eat and drink.
There are specific drinks designated as aperitifs, but wine will do.  Some French like whiskey.  I'm sipping some Cremant, which is the non Champagne sparking wine of France.  And some nicely spiced green and black olives makes a good accompaniment to the drink.  If you want to be fancy have pate, or a little sausage, some spreads, or high end chips.  More substantial offerings are an apero dinatoire meant to serve as the evening meal.
The French do not serve cheese before dinner--because what's the point of that?  Cheese comes after the meal bien sur.  But if you ever invite me, please be assured that I hold no such prejudice and will gladly eat cheese whenever it's offered.
I am having some Cervelle de Canut, and if you want to try it it looks pretty easy to make.  Get a container of fromage blanc or cream frais or even ricotta, and add minced garlic, and chopped up parsley and chives.  The French like a pinch of tarragon and olive oil, vinegar and salt to taste.  It should be fairly loose and spreadable.  Let it sit in the fridge for several hours for the flavors to blend, but serve at close to room temperature.  It should have a definite tang. If you pour a glass of wine and call it apero, I won't tell.
A demain.

2 comments: