Sunday, September 3, 2017

Lugdunum


Bonjour Mes Amies,
I know you want to hear about the food and drink, but I like history, too, and this is my blog so . . .
Lyon is a Roman foundation.  The Gauls lived nearby, but oddly did not occupy the peninsula between the two rivers--and surely both were important trade routes, but instead used the hill on the far side of the Saone as a sacred site.  Dunum is a Celtic word indicating a fort, so the Romans adopted the Gaul's name for the Fortress of the God Lugus.  The hill top was an important site for all the tribes of Gaul and priests gathered at certain times of the year for ceremonies and sacrifice.
In the First Century BCE the Romans completed their conquest of Gaul and immediately recognized the strategic importance of the site.
Lugdunum quickly become the administrative center of both Gaul and the Romanized part of Germania.  The Emperor Claudius was born in the city and, retaining affection for the place, visited several times.  The Romans held sway for some five centuries, and when the Germans arrived the city became the Capital of Burgundy.
I went to the Gallo-Roman Museum today to explore the city's origin and history.  The museum was a longish walk from my home, but the day was very pleasant.  I had my route nicely mapped out.  Well.  I mean well, but I came upon the funicular that runs up to the top of Fourviere, which is the hill beyond the Saone that dominates the cityscape. That's where the most important part of the Roman city was, but remains of buildings and artifacts pop up pretty much wherever one digs in Lyon.
I lucked in to a day of free admission, and I enjoyed my visit.  For one thing I love mosaics, and many excellent examples are on display.  There are also a variety of artifacts, statues, and monuments nicely labeled in both English and French.  Local Roman finds are also displayed in the Musee de Beaux Arts.
After I visited the museum, I spent some time climbing around the Roman Theatre--rather heavily restored in places.  The theatre is a sort of park, so one can visit for free if one is not interested in the museum.
On my way across the Saone, I passed a market.  It was still going strong when I came back, so I turned aside.  Remember this is Birthday Week, and I was looking for indulgence.  Well, I had come to the right place.  The place was packed, but it was a fun excursion on a Sunday afternoon.  I was deeply tempted by the sausages and cheese but maybe some other time.  I did come way with a rotisserie chicken and some potatoes.  What they do is put potatoes under the rotisserie and the chicken drippings drip and cook the potatoes.  Madame spooned up some extra dripping for me.  I bought this using my very limited French.  Ha ha!  The truth is that these markets are such a tourist attraction that they probably all speak some English, but I try to be extra polite.
Is  the food good, Pil?
Yes. It's lovely and very satisfying.  I did have to add some salt, but I carry salt with me because I am just that cool.
A demain!

2 comments: