Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Lot of Lovely Art and Food



Bon Jour Mes Amies,
There is a trend that I am going to partake of--not just Birthdays--but Birthday Weeks!  So in the week leading up to my birthday my plan is to indulge myself mostly with large amounts of saturated fat.  And possibly sugar. Sound good?
I begin blogging at breakfast because I want to share my croissant and butter with you.  I have my strong English tea to go with it.  Mmmmm.  Ohhhh.  Ahhhh.  French butter is the best!  Demi sel has just the right level of sea saltiness. And this is raw milk butter from pastured cows.  The internet says it's health food.  It must be true.
Now let's try it with some lavender honey that I got yesterday when I bought my olive oil.
That's insanely tasty!
Now I'm back.  I came back early and for a wonder did not get lost this time.  The weather forecast is for thundershowers, and it's pleasantly cool here.  In the spirit of indulgence I am having an apero with some Crement, which is French non-champagne sparking wine, some olives and some nuts.
My target for the day was the Musee de Beaux Arts as I needed an indoor activity given the uncertain weather.  It was a good choice!  Lyon is a very walkable city, so I set off on foot having carefully plotted my course.  The museum is housed in a grand building with a lovely cortile and garden, which would be a great place to hang out in nicer weather.  I think there's a cafe, too.
The collection is impressive.  There is an audio guide one can rent for three euros, but I figured I'd know what I was looking at, and I was right.  Some of the walls are adorned with murals by Puvis de Chavanne whom I like because his images are pretty.  I started with the antiquities, and since I had them all to myself at that point, I actually enjoyed them more than at the British Museum.
I also enjoyed the Late Medieval Collection, but I have taste for this period and especially the polychrome wood carvings.  I came upon a set by Pieter Bruegel the Elder of the Four Elements:  Fire, Water, Air, and Earth.  I was greatly taken by them, and I had not known of of these works before.
You can also find Rubens, Van Dyck, and even Rembrandt.  There are some fine Tinterettos and Veronese as well.  I enjoyed the peaceful landscapes by Corot, but all the distinguished French painters are represented.  I won't list them all.  At any rate it was a fine way to spend several hours in Lyon.  I paused as alway as I crossed and recrossed the Rhone.  I love to watch the water flow!
Now for some cheese!  And red wine.  I'm drinking my usual Chateau Cheapaux that I pulled off the shelf.  It's an AOC Cotes du Rhone.  Not the best wine I've ever had, but just fine. The cheese is St. Marcellin, a product for which this region is famous--along the Cotes du Rhone wine.  It's very soft and creamy with a definite scent although I would not call it stinky.  Like all good cheeses the flavor develops in the mouth to a satisfying richness.   It's a cows milk cheese, and I would venture to say that if you like Camembert (and I do) you will like St. Marecellin (and I do).  Being from the same region, the cheese and wine are lovely together.  I also brought some of the English Cheddar with me.  It is likewise lovely with the wine. For dessert I had butter.  Yum.
A demain.


2 comments: