Saturday, September 16, 2017

Nothing Personal



Bon Jour Mes Amies,

I felt under the weather today, something that is most unusual for me on trips or in my life in general. Maybe this has to do with being older?  But the last time it happened was twenty years ago so maybe not. I've had a nap so I feel better.  I did manage to take the trash out and do some recycling.
I also have some thoughts.  I mentioned the transport police yesterday, and I also noticed some heavily harmed French Military at the station in Lyon--very heavily armored and armed.  It was not until I thought about it this morning until I connected it with the terrorist attack in London.
I do not ever worry about terrorism although I recognize the reality of it.  It just doesn't stop me from going where I want to go or doing what I want to do, and I observe that the Europeans just carry on normally, which is the appropriate response.
I have some observations on Lyon.  When I was in Paris a few year ago I was a shameless jay walker. The rule in Lyon is as follows.  There are traffic lights and walk don't walk lights, but if there is no on coming traffic, feel free to walk.  Just be aware of the bike lanes and on coming bikes, which are common here.
There are beggars who seem to be ubiquitous in Europe.  Most appear to be able bodied men whom I suspect are alcoholics or drug addicts unwilling to become part of the social support system universal in the European Union.
I am so French in my ability to blow off solicitors or beggars.  For the former a snappy statement in English, "I am a tourist, or  I am on vacation," works wonders.  Employ it as needed in whatever country you are in.  The Boy Scouts were very disapproving though.
But then there was that old woman making her painful way down Rue Victor Hugo with a cane--all bent over and bandaged--no one to take care of her.  I saw she carried a paper cup, so I gave her some money whispering--"There for but the Grace of God and Fosamax go I."
I am returning to London--fearlessly--in under a week.  There's security of course.  It exists here in Lyon.  Visitors are expected to open their bags upon entry to museums.  Not a big deal.  Sometimes one walks through metal detectors.  Still not a big deal.
People have told me they and their families have altered plans to visit Europe or other parts of the world because they fear terrorism, and I find that heart breaking because that's that the terrorists want.  I have never NEVER felt unsafe in Europe.  And sometimes I do feel unsafe at home in the United States.
Public venues such as museums or tourist offices want to keep track of the origins of visitors, so I am always asked--as it is clear either from my atrocious accent or my preference for English that I am a foreign visitor.  "Les E'tat Unis." is what I say.  The United States--because America is a geographic expression, and as an historian I refer to the actual nation.  The United States is the name of my country, and I am not ashamed to state it, and no one here has ever raised an eyebrow or curled a lip.  Or mentioned you know who or given me any attitude other than complete respect and courtesy.
Don't be afraid to travel.  Get your passports and save your money and come here or anywhere you want.  The world will welcome you. I promise.
A demain.

3 comments: