Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Once I Sailed Away . . .


Goddag
What a long trip back!  My flight was very, very early, so I rose in the middle of the night to dress, complete packing, and straighten up the place.  I could hear the drunks in the street and was not excited about having to emerge in the midst of them.
I got lucky in that regard because when I did leave the streets were almost empty.
The first leg of the journey was the hardest.  I had to get myself and my luggage down the steep, narrow staircase.  There was a light—at the bottom.  Normally I bring a small led light thingy, but this time I must have forgotten it.  Note to self.  Make sure it's in your bag next time!
I carefully felt my way down in the pitch darkness and opened the door which let in enough light for me to find the switch and then I brought my bags down.
It was a short walk to the station.  I wore my coat but it fact it was so warm I packed it as I waited for the metro.  One of the metro folk saw me waiting and waiting and explained that the line I was waiting for wasn't running.  She kindly directed me to a place I could get the train.
Now that was part of her job, but the Danes are just nice and go out of their way to be helpful if they can.  I never encountered rudeness or any kind of attitude toward anyone.
At the airport they were looking for people to volunteer to be bumped but they wouldn't bump me because I had a connecting flight.
I'd just figured out how to log in to the airport's wifi when my flight was called.
And naturally my connecting time in Frankfurt was so tight that I could not find the tax refund booth.  They won't let you turn it in unless they are sure you are about to leave the EU.  You have to show a boarding pass.
The flight back wasn't bad.  I actually had a couple of decent airline meals, but I also didn't get any sleep.  I'm a wreck.
One of the things I discovered is that the Danes ARE incredibly trusting even in a city full of drinking tourists.  Sometimes when I was walking down the streets I saw baby carriages parked outside shops. Taking a discreet peak I determined that, yes, there was an unattended infant inside.
Did you ever find the secret to the Danes' happiness, Pil?
Well, I think it's a combination of their kindly natures--and the saturated fat!  And let's not forget those Free Public Toilets!
For sharing my trip with me I give you a hearty Danish Tak!
Farvel

2 comments: