Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Because it's not Scandanavia without Some Vikings


-->

Goddag
On my way to Norreport Station I got stopped and asked for help by three travelers.  One guy wanted to exchange money.  I sent him to the main train station since I recalled Bureaux de Change there, but Sunday morning is not a good time for trying to change cash.  Things are closed.  The next couple wanted to know where the flea market was.  I had to guess.  Then a woman needed help finding her train.  That I could do.
The guy at the train station ticket window this morning was so charming I wanted to bring him home with me.
But all I did was ask him to sell me a ticket to Roskilde—pronounced Roskil more or less in Dansk.  So it was an easy train ride.  I kept an eye on the sky.  Dark clouds gathered and it was a bit chilly but no rain fell, and I wore my sweater and not my raincoat.
Roskilde used to be the capital of Denmark way back in Viking times before Bishop Absalon built his "merchants' harbor" and fortress of Copenhagen.  It's still the spiritual center of the country.
One takes a pleasant and sign posted walking through the streets to the town center where the cathedral sits.  I continued on with the woodland walk through the park down to the harbor and the Viking Ship Museum.  Hey you have to be interested in Vikings to like this.  I am.  It was kinda like coming home.  I hooked up with a tour in English and heard a lot of history I already knew and some technical Viking stuff and archeology I didn’t.
I enjoyed seeing the ships and hearing about their construction and use.  I strolled across the bridge to watch the demonstration of traditional crafts like woodworking and rope twisting.
Then I climbed back up the hill to the cathedral.
The Dom is a magnificent building.  It features painted walls and ceilings with vegetal designs and biblical scenes in a naïve style.  The visitor can also pay respects at the tombs of the monarchs of Denmark.  I confess to ignorance.  I could not tell my Fredricks from my Christians.  Among the treasures is the spectacular bas relief altar piece.
I had a most satisfying, historical day.
During the Tour de France some idiot thought it was a great idea to throw tacks on the road.  Bradley Wiggins acted as a great patron and kept the race together.
Farvel!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would love to see that Viking museum.

    Ugh about the tires--ugh, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would also like the longship tours in the harbor--a pretty Viking experience.

    ReplyDelete