Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Step into the Past


Goddag
So no hot water this morning.  I was debating whether to call the owner when I went outside with my recycling.  Fortunately I found the place for glass just down the street.  I always want to be a responsible guest and recycle if I can.  So on my way out I saw a notice posted—in Danish, of course, but I’ve been here more than a week, so I knew some words and could figure out it was about the hot water situation and that it was going to be dealt with.  But only with the written language!  Dansk is not really much like Deutsch, but knowing some German does help at least looking at written word.  But they sound so different!  Dansk is sort of like French in that ends of words are not spoken and some of the consonants are gargled.
Oh yeah and I had hot water when I got home!
And I had a day of fine weather.  I decided to take advantage of it and go to the Frilandmuseet.  Open air museums are my most favorite thing on trips.  This one is fantastic!  They have moved and reconstructed farm buildings and old houses from various parts of Denmark.
The setting is gorgeous.  As one penetrates the park traffic noise fades and is replaced by birds chirping, water fowl quacking and Danish sheep saying maaa instead of baaa.
To get there get off at Sorgenfri and follow the signs, but I have to say this is definitely a good weather jaunt.  Going in the rain would be miserable.  There's a picnic area and a playground for kids.
I had a wonderful time walking around the countryside.  I even had a green, lush, woodland walk.  One can go into the buildings and most of them display the traditional furnishings, Placards explain the construction and purpose of the buildings in both Danish and English.  People lived in small, dark musty  rooms.  One can see their farm equipment and animals. I ran into Chanticleer, but he was wary of posing for me.  I saw geese and goats and sheep and cows and pigs. I even took my coat off and squished it up in my bag.  I walked and walked.  The place is huge, and it’s not crowded.
What I really love—what moves me is history from the bottom up.  So I crave glimpses of the ordinary life of everyday people.  While I appreciate the beauty and quiet of the countryside and the charm of the unfamiliar, places like this are a reminder of how hard life was.  People had to draw or pump water, cook on cast iron stoves (if they had them!) with no temperature controls.  Everything was done by hand.  And when they were finished inside they had to care for the animals, work in the garden no matter the weather.
To treat myself when I got back, I stopped in at a British import store.  I found the selection disappointing, but I did get some delicious English cider from Somerset to have with dinner while I watched the Tour de France in Danish.
Farvel

2 comments:

  1. I am loving the photos on this second time through. Gorgeous--including the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was Very Lucky in my weather that day. Gorgeous is the word!

    ReplyDelete