Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Shopping on Stroget



 Goddag!
Of course now that my visit is drawing to its close, the weather has started to improve.  This is the second day I have merely worn my sweater and the first in a long time that the umbrella did not go up at all.
I spent the morning walking around town.  I went shopping and among the things I bought were a pair of amber and silver earrings, which I will force you to admire.  Most amber comes from the Baltic and is abundant (but still expensive!) in Copenhagen.  Most of the jewelry was really chunky, and I did not like it.  It looked to me like, "Ooh, see how rich I am.  I can afford to wear big old chunks of amber."  Nah.  But you'll like my earrings.  You'd better . . .
I don't know how to make shopping seem interesting.  You can find a couple of good touristy shops on Stroget, but mostly it's just clothes and stuff.  I liked poking around the two big department stores.  One Magasin is the largest in Scandinavia.  I look at things like housewares that I could not possibly buy and bring home.
The truth is (don't tell) I don't care that much for the famed Danish design.  I love Denmark and the Danes.  They can keep their design.
Then I visited the National Museum again.  It's a big place and there was quite a bit of it I hadn't seen.  I came upon more period rooms and an very interesting exhibit of artifacts of everyday life in various periods of history.  I like looking at traditional costumes, and tools, and toys.
I went upstairs to look at the Antiquities, so I could practice my Art History skills.  The museum had an impressive exhibit.  I'm not sure how much you want to hear about Cycladic, and Black Figure and Red Figure, but I enjoyed it.
I also dropped in on some churches.  You will not find Romanesque or Gothic in Copenhagen any more.  All of them are Neo Classical.  They are comparatively small, and if you have seen some of the great churches of Europe, you won't be impressed.  I did enjoy seeing Thorvaldsen's Christ and the Twelve Apostles again and as it was meant to be displayed.
For dinner I stopped back at that fancy bakery on Stroget.  I got a ham sandwich.  Once again I had to take a number and wait, and the sandwich was expensive.  On the other hand it was worth it.  It had great bread of a sort of sourdough.  This was filled with a generous portion of wonderful Danish ham, some cheese, tomato and bitter greens. It made a very tasty and filling dinner washed down with cheap rose from the grocery store.
Farvel


2 comments:

  1. I remember unfondly the Danish modern furniture that was ubiquitous in the fifties. Hated it then, and still don't like it. I wonder if the modern stuff is along the same lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's what we remember as Danish Modern--very spare. Might not be uncomfortable but looks that way.

      Delete