Wednesday, August 1, 2012

You Went Where?


Goddag
Summer in Denmark appears to be like a wet winter back home.  I have resigned myself to day after day of rain and figured I just better get on with my trip.
I walked to the train station in the pouring rain figuring there had to be an ATM at the station right?  Wrong.  But I was out of krone, so I had to scout around for one, which I found and obtained money to buy my ticket.  I saved a krone or two by getting the combo train ride/museum entrance one.
I was off to Louisiana without a banjo on my knee!
Louisiana, Pil? I thought you were in Denmark!
Louisiana is a sort of Modern Art museum/park.  It’s an easy train ride from Copenhagen although once on the train I realized that I could have gotten the cash, ticket, train from my local station Norrebro and didn’t actually have to hike through the down pour.
One alights at Humlebeck, and if you can’t remember that the sign also says Louisiana.  The ten minute walk to the museum is well sign posted, but the place is so popular one can just follow the crowds.
The museum buildings themselves are masterworks of high tech Danish design, and the place is worth visiting for that and the lovely seaside setting.
When it rained I went indoors.  The art is well displayed.  Most of what I saw was from an international array of contemporary artists whose work was interesting, but I did not see much I liked.  One can also find Picasso, Rothko, Warhol, and many other greats of the Twentieth Century.  Be advised that the museum is Very Popular and was packed when I was there, so sometimes actually seeing the works took work!
I love taking trains and always look out the windows to see what's out there.  The Danish countryside is generally flat but sometimes a few hills roll along.  It's green!  We passed farm land and small towns and a lot of deep, green forest.  I wanted to jump off the train when I saw a few paths meandering among those tall trees.  All that rain does Denmark good.  I've seldom been in a lusher place.
What I much preferred was the sculpture garden featuring monumental Henry Moore works as well some by Calder and Miro.  I also enjoyed short a woodland walk.  A nice café rounds things out.  One can have a cup of tea on the terrace overlooking the sea.
Favel

No comments:

Post a Comment