Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Mainhattan




Hey, Pil, I thought you were going to Europe, but it looks like you are headed for the Big Apple.
Look again!  It's more like der grosse Apfel.  My destination is Frankfurt am Main--one pronounces the name of the river "mine."  The nickname stems from the fact that Frankfurt is a business metropolis full of skyscrapers, a sky line not very common in Germany.  The city is the headquarters for the country's largest banks (and as a consequence is also known as Bankfurt), as well as the European Stock Exchange, and hosts frequent international trade fairs.  The most famous is the Book Fair held, I believe, in October.
So I could swing over after I attend Oktober Fest in Munich.
And you could, too, but unless expense is no object, I would advise not.  When the business folk descend on the city, hotel prices go through the roof.  It's the old law of supply and demand.  Dates of the trade fairs or Messe are readily available on line. That's how I was able to pick my dates and to afford coming here.
But why are you going?  The last time I heard about Frankfurt was when I read Heidi.  It's not on tourist radar is it?
Usually not.  After all look how long it took me to get here.  Frankfurt is not known for its charm, and even among Germans has the reputation of being all business.  Nevertheless, there is plenty of history and art on offer, and the city makes a great base for exploring the region.  Much of Frankfurt suffered the same fate, i.e. being bombed into rubble, as other German cities during that Unpleasantness in the early 1940s, and the historic center and many churches are reconstructions.
Frankfurt was a Roman foundation and the northern limit of the Empire's control called the Limes is not too far north of the city.  But the city got its name, according to legend, when Charlemagne arrived.  The story is that he and his pals went out hunting, and the deer they were after escaped by running across the River Main.  "Hmm," said Charles or Karl, since we are in Germany, "Must be a ford there.  What a great place for a market town."  Hence the name Ford of the Franks.  Because of its strategic location Frankfurt became the place where Holy Roman Emperors were elected and often crowned.  Its status as a Free Imperial City allowed it to flourish and begin to host those international trade fairs I mentioned earlier.
So let's leave business aside and go seeking history.  I can promise plenty of intriguing museums, glittering palaces, looming castles,as well as the romantic Rhine, and the mysterious Black Forest.
And food, Pil?  Say there's food!
Food and drink, too.  I won't let you down.  Please join me!

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your taking the time to read given all that's on your plate at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Piercy, I always look forward to your posts - they really inform and inspire how I am looking to document my own travels! Wishing you a wonderful journey - Ashley Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. Let me know when you start your blog!

    ReplyDelete