Monday, September 3, 2018

U and S Bahn Travels


Guten Tag!
Today is Monday--Labor Day for those of you still laboring.  It's not a holiday in Germany, but the museums are closed, but you do know what is almost as much fun and culturally enlightening as museums?  That's right--stores!
I began with my Monday morning trip to the grocery store where I picked up a couple of day's supplies.  Do you know why Europeans shop for food so often.  Partly it's their love of freshness, but also even in actual residences the refrigerator is small like mine is.  We can discuss dinner later.
Let's talk about public transportation.  Berlin has plenty of various sorts.  Today I armed myself the a day pass or Tagcarte, so I could zip around freely on whichever mode of transportation I chose.  I feel most comfortable on and familiar with the U bahn, but I do need to branch out.
Berlin's transport seems to be run on the honor system.  I suppose most people who live here have some kind of pass.  I saw a woman show the driver hers on the bus yesterday, but on the U and S bahns no one checks.  Ticket machines are on each platform and by each bus stop.  You can choose your preferred language.  All machines take coins, but not all take bills, and you cannot use bills of larger denomination.  Once the ticket is obtained the traveler must validate it in the machine before boarding the train/bus/tram.  The validation machines are inside the bus.  Once validated the ticket is good for two hours and however many transfers you need.  You just can't backtrack.  I have not seen any sign of the transportation police, but I'm sure they are out there.
I transferred from the U bahn to the S bahn to get to the Hauptbahnhof, which is not on the U bahn.  The problem with the S bahn is that there are a zillion lines, and I can't figure out which goes where, but I did find the line to the main train station, and I determined to pay it a visit, as I think it's sad to go to a German city and not see its Hauptbahnhof.  Berlin's is huge and modern with several S bahn lines plus connections to cities in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.  There is also a big shopping center offering fast food and whatever else the traveler may need.
I hopped back on the S bahn for a short trip, and then hopped back on the U bahn for a shorter trip.  My target was right there--the Berlin branch of Galeries LaFayette!  When I heard such a thing existed, I knew I had to visit.  I helped myself to a squirt of expensive perfume, had a quick look around the store, and then headed for the basement food hall.  It's Birthday Week.  I was after macarons, and I found them!  More about them later.
Then feeling I ought to do something touristy, I strolled down Unter den Linden, created by the Kings of Prussia as Berlin's poshest thoroughfare.  I assume the trees that line the boulevard are in fact linden trees. They did look different from the chestnuts in my neighborhood.  At one end stands Brandenburg Tor--the famous Brandenburg Gate, which is the symbol of the city.  It's a Very Touristy thing to do.  Then I picked up the S bahn again only to transfer to the U bahn at a very familiar stop--Potsdamer Platz.  I got off not too far from home.  My target was the KaDeWe.
This is the nickname of the Kaufhaus des Westens the largest department store in Berlin and a close rival for Harrods in size and comprehensiveness of its offerings.  In fact as soon as I entered I said to myself, "This reminds of of Harrods."  On the ground floor are boutiques with high end luxury goods and very elegant and idle shop assistants.  Clearly some of the store caters to those with disposable income.  I dispose of my income taking trips though.
Unlike Harrods there are parts of the store that real people can shop in, and I saw them doing it. As I've mentioned the Germans dress very well when they want to.  I took myself up to the top floor where the food hall was--of course I did.  And I have to say this one put Galeries LaFayette (at least the Berlin branch) to shame.  It's huge and has products from a lot of places in Europe--mostly Germany, France, and Italy.  So much chocolate and other confections were displayed I almost ended up in a sugar coma.  I swooned at the cheese display.  Actually I was after green sauce, but maybe that's just a Frankfurt thing.  They had everything but that.  As I said it's not that far from me.  I have a feeling I'll go back.
I went back to Kurfurstendamm stop and walked home.  It was warm by then, and I am tired.  So let's do a birthday week tea!
I notice you eat desert first, Pil.
What's your point?
Just an observation.  What flavors are they?
I just got four, and I have some green tea to accompany them.  We'll taste them together.  I will try not to wolf them down, but I am hungry.  First up, orange and pain d'espices (what we could call gingerbread.)  Good macarons are So Celestial!  That was a nice combination.  Next, let's try caramel.  Ooh Ahh!  This one is even better.  What a lovely taste!  All right.  Next up is apricot.  It's tasty, but I think I should have saved the caramel for last though.  Last is lemon.  It has a bright lemony flavor.  I enjoyed all of them!  But I'm going to have to stop with the sugar for a while.

2 comments: