Sunday, September 9, 2018

Art and Cheese Fest


Guten Tag,
I doctored up the Prosecco with some fruit wine to make a kind of Kir Royale.  It's not that the Prosecco tastes bad--it just tastes like nothing.  I am so used to pulling cheap wine off grocery store shelves and getting something good, and then when I spent a little more this happens.  It's a lesson to me.
It turned out to be a nice day out, but I did experience some frustrations.  First of all the sky looked threatening.  I wanted to go back to Potsdam, but figured I shouldn't chance it, and anyway I had a Plan B.  Of course, by the time I emerged from Potsdam Platz U bahnhof, the day had turned and remained brilliantly sunny.
I was returning to the Kulturforum.  According to my guidebook there were three major museums worth seeing, and I had seen two of them.  Time for the third described as a world class collection of art on paper featuring illuminated manuscripts, drawings, prints and famous names like Durer, Rembrandt, and Picasso.  Sounded good to me!
Um no.
When I got there the nice folks said, they couldn't see me a ticket, and moreover, what I'd come to see wasn't on offer in the first place.  Eh?  Fine.  I was in the neighborhood so I went back to the Gelmaldegalerie.  This reminds me that people have been asking me for directions.  Ha ha!  This means I appear as if I know what I'm doing and where I am going.  I have become a falsche Berlinerin.
I spent hours in the museum on my first trip, and I did not see every single thing.  I still don't think I have even after another multi hour visit.  I did see things I had not seen before, and I paid more attention to works I'd previously skipped over because even I get art fatigue.
Of note were some Late Medieval Altarpieces and some splendid works by Rogier Van Der Weyden and Hans Memling among others.  I also came across French painters Nicolas Poussin and Claude Lorraine.  According to the audioguide they became great friends and went on sketching expeditions together in the Italian countryside.  Sounds fun to me!
The Golden Age of the Netherlands in the Seventeenth Century is notable for its prodigious output of art--some estimated five million paintings--and most were snapped up to decorate the canalside homes of the wealthy Holland merchants in Amsterdam.  The Gemaldegalie has a LOT of these, and I gave them the attention they deserved this time.  The Dutch went in for sea scapes and landscapes as well as portraits, and still lives so exquisite they are almost painful.  Also in abundance are genre paintings, which on the surface are slices of everyday life, but which almost always hold a hidden and moral meaning.  So I had a good day out.
I decided to come home via S bahn because it is my birthday, and one should stretch oneself, so that was nice.  The S bahn is smoother and more comfortable than the U bahn in most cases.
Celebrating, Pil?
Yes, with a lot of cheese!  There's nothing like high quality saturated fat to celebrate another year of bodily aging. I have introduced the cheese to you previously, but let's review.  By the way both of these cheeses have rinds.  In the case of Rocamadour, I simply, like most people, mush up the disk rind and all.  Also like most people I cut off the thicker, more ammonia scented rind of the Livarot.  You can eat it.  Some people do.  We begin with Rocamadour goat cheese because it's milder, and because it comes to edible room temperature more quickly.  Do not eat cold cheese.  Please don't.  It's not good for you and not kind to the cheese.  Then comes the stronger and more complex Livarot.  Actually both of these cheeses deserve a fruity red wine to go with them.  Well, I don't have one.  That truly pathetic Prosecco is going to have to do.

2 comments:

  1. Glad plan B worked out in the end. I adore those slice of life paintings.

    ReplyDelete