Friday, September 7, 2018

Art in the Twentieth Century


Guten Tag,
I meant it to be a Rococo day with a return to Potsdam, but the day turned out unexpectedly rainy, so I stayed in town and hit a couple of museums.
I'm getting more confident about the S bahn. At least I know I can reach the Hauptbahnhof.  Nearby is another bahnhof this one having been repurposed.  The Hamburger Bahnhof has been transformed into a museum of Late Twentieth Century Art.  It's in an attractive building, but after the railway station was constructed it became clear after some years that it was too small and the station was abandoned in 1904.
When I was there the main hall was closed because they were going to do an installation, so I did not have the full experience, but it was interesting enough.  A lot of people do not like Modern or Contemporary Art.  I don't like a lot of it myself, but I also notice that when I go through even a first class "fine art" gallery that a lot of the works are--meh.  And my experience with Contemporary Art is that I have come upon works I have found unexpectedly moving or powerful.  So I go looking.
This museum is notable for its collection of Andy Warhol and Robert Rauschenberg, and I did enjoy them the most.  I also found a series of collages interesting--and one of them was timely.  If I may be political for a bit . . . A photoshopped image of the current President of the United States tenderly touched the Berlin Wall.  "I'll build you a brother," was the caption.  I started to laugh.
I strolled back to the Hauptbahnhof and found a train going to my desired destination.  A change to the U bahn, and I ended up back of Kurfurstendamm.  I discovered a couple of days ago that the Kathe Kollwitz Museum was in my neighborhood and within walking distance of home, so I paid a visit.  I don't think Kathe Kollwitz is well known outside of Germany, but she is one of the major artists of the Twentieth Century specializing in both sculpture and graphic arts.
I can't say I like her works, but on the other hand, they aren't meant to be liked.  A socially conscious vision is evident in her art.  She lived in a working class neighborhood with her doctor husband and had a first had opportunity to witness the struggles of the poor and especially women to survive and live with dignity.  Kollwitz was a mother herself--one of her sons died in World War I, and themes of mother and child, and grief run through her works as well as the empathetic portrayal of the working class past and present.  Works in a variety of media are on display in the museum including bronze sculptures, woodcuts, drawings, and lithographs.
Her style and subject matter clashed with NAZI ideas and she was kicked out of the German Art Academy, and later she and her husband were interviewed by the Gestapo.  Her stature internationally as an artist probably saved her life, but she and her husband died before World War II ended.
Dinner is just some pasta and beer, but The Day is Approaching, so treats are in store.

2 comments: