Saturday, September 8, 2018

Technology and Treats


Guten Tag!
It's Birthday Weekend.  Yay.  Time for treats, but first I took a trip to the Deutsches Teknikmuseum or the German Museum of Technology.
I actually spent more time there than I anticipated.  It's a big museum and covers a variety of topics and manages to make them all both interesting and informative, so I have come away feeling I learned something.  Some of the exhibits are multi media and/or interactive.
I happen to like old trains, so the locomotive exhibit is where I went first.  They displayed a lot of old trains--both the real thing and models.  The rooms had an interesting musty scent of old iron.  The exhibit takes the viewer from the first crude rail vehicles pushed by hand to the personal train car of Kaiser Wilhelm II himself.  I found that throughout the museum while many things are also labeled in English not everything is, and my weak German does not lend itself to technical explanation.
From there I visited a windmill, a very intriguing exhibit of pharmaceutical research then went on to photography and moving images.  I found a very interesting display of textile manufacture complete with completed garments.
In the new wing I found sailing technology and flight from balloons to space travel.  I especially enjoyed the exhibit on sugar.  Normally it's something I try to avoid, but it's Birthday Week so . . .  I felt better about my plans for consumption after reading about the different kinds of sugar and their vital role in bodily functions and genetics.
The technology is nice, Pil.  What about the treats?
I took the U bahn back to KaDeWe and went up to the food hall on the fifth floor.  It was bustling on a Saturday afternoon.  I blew twenty euros on tasty treats.
Such as?
Such as what I'm having now.  I mentioned sugar earlier.  I'm having mine in the form of tartlette citron.
Sounds French.
Because it is.  From Le Notre one of the leading patisseries in Paris.  The cheese I got is French, too. But first lets deal with the tartlette.  I have polished off the meringue topping and am now working on the rich crust and sweet/tart lemony filling.  Divine doesn't even begin to describe it.  Of course I am hungry from all the prowling around.  I'm having it with green tea.
The cheese I got is stuff I love but cannot obtain in the United States.  Rocamadour is lovely mild goat cheese from Central France made in delicate disks.  They are pretty melty even at room temperature.  I have it spread on a cracker, which the French wouldn't like but since I'm not in France--who cares.   It's sooooo gooood.  So creamy and rich tasting for all its mildness.
Next up is a "stinky" cow's milk cheese from Normandy.  Livarot one of my favorites.  The taste is not as strong as the smell, but to me they are both wonderful.  I love saturated fat in most all its forms.  Is it too naughty of me at my approaching age and with cholesterol issues to indulge?
Nah.
What beer are you drinking with this cheese?
Now beer can go well with cheese, but I treated myself to a bottle of Prosecco, and I knew that it was not the ideal pairing, but it's ok, and the bubbles are celebratory!  But updated to add: The Prosecco was just not good with cheese--It's just not good!  Bummer. I got DOP and paid a little more than usual and ended up with a lot less.

No comments:

Post a Comment