Thursday, July 14, 2016

To Market


Guten Tag,
It's a very wet day in Salzburg and rather chilly.  I came back rather earlier than usual to commune with some green tea.  I am prepared for weather in Europe and only wish I could bring the the rain home with me.  I have the habit of always carrying my umbrella, and I pack stout shoes.  I did wish when I set out this morning that I had a raincoat or jacket instead of just my cotton sweater, but I was staying in town and not getting on a bus, so I knew I would be fine.
I crossed the river by the pedestrian bridge.  A lot of tour groups were out braving the wet with their umbrellas and rain gear.  I went to treat myself to another stroll through the Mirabell Gardens.  Then I attended the weekly market.  I passed some beggars on the way maintaining their stations under their own umbrellas with their plastic cups awaiting coins.  All the beggars appear to be immigrants.  The stationary ones are older and call out to passersby.  A few days ago I followed an Austrian woman who made a practice of dropping a coin into the cup of each beggar she met, so people do give, and it must pay--although I don't know how.  The younger more aggressive beggars are found at bus stops and the train station.  They approach women.  A couple of them tried to block my path when I wanted to evade them.
I love markets.  Sometimes I buy things, but today I did not, but there was plenty to see as the stalls extended over several streets and even on a rainy day attracted plenty of custom.  Bright blooming flower stood in one corner next to fruit and vegetable displays nearly as colorful and just as enticing.  Most of the stands and carts sold food.  I marveled at the variety of sausage.  I don't think there are varieties enough to make a different one for each day of the year, but surely one could have a different one each week of the year.  Other meat, including poultry was also for sale.  I saw huge rounds and slices of yellow cheese--large enough to supply a family for a year.  A lot of different kinds of cheese was on offer, and, yes, I was tempted.  Other stands sold prepared foods, olives, pickles, Mediterranean products including pasta.  Some merchants advertised their goods as "bio" or organic. Non food offerings included lotions and soaps.
So that was fun even in the rain.  I strolled though the town and licked a few windows and then recrossed the river.  I had decided to spend the day in shopping.  One of the pleasures of travel is bringing back presents, and I do some Christmas shopping if I can.  There are a lot of touristy shops in the Alt Stadt, and I visited them all.  I did buy a couple of things, but mostly I ended up frustrated. None of my friends likes souvenirs, and neither do I.  The stores are well kept, but they all carry the same things, and I don't think anyone at home is interested in T shirts, or little dishes, or key chains--or those mysterious rubber ducks that they all display.  Nor do I think my friends would truly appreciate the Mozart or Sisi themed perfume or liquor. So that was frustrating and tiresome.  I have time to try again, but right now I am going to enjoy the rain--from inside!
And here's a rather random observation.  I notice Priuses because that's what I drive at home, and there were plenty n Germany, which makes sense because of the price of fuel in Europe.  I have not seen a one in Austria.  I have seen a few Toyotas but not a single Prius.  I wonder why.
Dinner was very simple.  I had a couple of hard cooked eggs and some toast thickly spread with that tasty Liptaur.

2 comments: