Saturday, July 16, 2016

Auf Weidersehen, Salzburg!



Guten Tag
Today is my last full day in Salzburg, and when I post again it will be from Germany.  Before I go on I want to refer to my first post this trip "Travel in a Time of Tension."  Well, that's what I and many others are doing.  A horrific attack took place in Nice, and today I woke up to the news of an attempted coup in Turkey.  Interesting times.   But since the purpose of terrorism is to disrupt lives, continuing with one's plans is an act of defiance.  You see, terrorism does not work.  It never has.  It kills and maims, and destroys, but never ever has it achieved its goal.
So I am glad that the Tour de France and other sporting activities went on.  Those involved were mindful and expressed their concern and sympathy, but it was appropriate and defiant that they stayed their course.
Since it is my last day in the city, I did not want to get on another bus or a train.  I wanted to take a final tour and revisit the places I enjoyed.  I resolved to return to Hohen Salzburg--this time by foot.  I figured that all the walking around I've been doing had rendered me fit enough to make the climb with no problem.  I was right.  I huffed and puffed a bit, but I was fine.
Once up the hill, I wandered around the footpaths taking those I had not before.  I come to Europe in part to walk, and if the walking takes me through lovely woodland, well then--all the better.  The weather cooperated, too.  It was cool and dry.   Off one path stood an odd rather Asian looking object, and a man was circling it with some enthusiasm.  Eh?  A sign identified the object as a stupa or Buddhist meditation site.
The man saw me observing him and spoke to me.  He switched to English quickly probably clued in my blank expression.  He said he didn't really believe, but walking around was supposed to bring good luck and why not.  "Clockwise," I asked?  "Yes."  "I'll try it."  And I did.  I didn't notice any particular luck, but I did have a very pleasant day.
I carefully descended the stairs down to the Alt Stadt and walked around ignoring beggars, dodging cigarette smoke and tour groups, and licking windows.  At length I fetched up at the market--the one on my side of the river in the Alt Stadt.  The Saturday market is a good deal larger and livelier, and I saw more locals buying than tourists.
Passing what seemed to be a popular bakery stand I spotted some scrumptious looking Apfel Strudel.  The apples were mounded up higher and were more abundant than the bakery version.  Not wishing to be rude I bought some.  I am eating it now.  You can get fancier pastry, especially in Vienna, but there are reasons the classics are classics.  It's just so good.  For dinner I stopped and got a Bosna.  There are good sausages in Munich to be sure, but I don't think they have this kind in Germany, so I wanted to make sure I had another.
I think most folks spend a day or two--maybe three--in Salzburg.  They take the city tour or the Sound of Music Tour and shop and eat.  And that's fine, but I have had the privileged experience of two weeks here, so I have gotten to know the city and the region a little bit.  I want to plead for visitors to stay longer--to linger.  The region is so rich and so lovely.  Please come.  Please stay.
Of course after proclaiming that there were no Priuses in Austria I saw one. It was a taxi.  Of course it was.  I have enjoyed the historical sights and the food and drink, but I think what I have loved the most is the lush greenery of the mountains, woodland, and grassy meadows studded with Alpine flowers.  Breathing is fun.  The air is fresh and has a faint sweet fragrance that comes from the trees and grass. I'll be more urban when I go back to Munich. See you there.

2 comments: