Sunday, May 5, 2024

Buon Giorno from Genoa

 Buon Giorno!

It was a long and tiring journey, and I'm jet lagged out of my mind. I can't get the TV or the induction stove top to work, which is disappointing because I wanted to have some DOP Pesto genovese on pasta for dinner. Maybe I'll dab some on a bruschetta. I do have DOP wine from the region so I'll have a sip in a bit.  But I'm glad to be here!

The trip mostly went smoothly. My ride came a bit early, but I was prepared, and it was a quick trip to the airport, check in and even security. We no longer have to unpack the electronics or take off our shoes. Yay!

Premium Economy on KLM was surprisingly luxurious. The dinner featured lobster salad as an appetizer for instance, and for breakfast there was cheese and smoked salmon among other things. Very nice indeed, but unfortunately I got no sleep.

We arrived on time in Amsterdam, and I had plenty of time to make my connection, but this is where it got sticky. Our plan arrived late from its previous flight and suffered a mechanical issue, so we were over an hour late leaving. Normally it wouldn't matter too much, but I had booked a taxi, and the company said it would track my flight, but at first it didn't seem like it. I got my bag and went out to arrivals at Christofero Columbo Airport (proudly named after Genoa's most famous son) there was no driver awaiting me. I texted the guy while I was at baggage claim, and after a bit got a text back. He was on his way.

He not only drove me to my destination. He dragged my bags up the cobbled street to the door of my accommodation. Then he rang the bell. No response. I texted them after a while, obviously I got in. I am not familiar with the city, but I'm on a quiet pedestrianized street close to the historic center.  Here are my digs.



Very spacious. There is a gourmet food shop practically next door, and a nice grocery store down the street as well as other intriguing things in my neighborhood. I'll enjoy exploring.

I am going to have a modest apero of some bruschetta dabbed with pesto. The scent of the basil is intoxicating. Having pesto in Italy was revelation. It is so much better than what we get even from fancy places. The wine is a white Liguria di Levante, and very nice it is, too.  I no longer follow the five euro rule, so I splash out a bit. It goes beautifully with the pesto, but the pesto would be better on pasta. I'll try to make it happen.

Ciao for now


No comments:

Post a Comment