Monday, April 1, 2019

Musee National Marc Chagall


Bon jour, mes amies,

On my way home I fetched up beside Galeries LaFayette, so I went inside to help myself to some expensive perfume, and now I smell pleasantly of cherry pie.
I found a place to recycle my bottles so I did that and got more cash.  I use my bank's French partner, and I like the cute animation on the ATMs.
Then it was time to get on a bus.  I found the stop, the bus, used my pass, and got off safely at the right stop.  I feel like I'm having a winning streak.  We'll see if it continues.
I really liked the Musee National Marc Chagall, and it may be my favorite in Nice.  The building is modern, and I did not care for it even though the artist himself was deeply involved in the design and layout of the museum, but it is set in a Mediterranean garden with olive trees. There's a cafe, which appeared to be popular, and a couple of tiny dogs playing on the lawn.
Note that since this is a national and not city museum, the museum pass will not work. A free audio guide is on offer, and all the visitor needs to do is leave identification.  I enjoyed the guide and would strongly urge anyone to get it as it is excellent and enhances the experience of viewing the works.
Apparently this is the largest public collection of Chagall.  The emphasis is on paintings, but some ceramics and stained glass is also displayed.
The paintings are his biblical works inspired by Genesis, Exodus, Song of Soloman, and the History of the Jewish People.  The color is brilliant, and the large canvases exert a hypnotic power.  Without the audioguide I would have missed some of Chagall's symbolism and the telling detail he would add in corners or backgrounds.
One interesting thing, I did not expect was the inclusion of Jesus in some of the works.  Now I knew that Chagall had no issue with decorating churches, and some of the paintings in the museum were originally intended as altarpieces, but Chagall regarded Jesus as an example of the suffering of the Jewish People over the centuries.  He also often included scenes from his hometown in what is now Belarus.  He and his family were driven out by pogroms, and eventually he and his wife settled in Provence in St Paul de Vence where they are buried.
I try to walk as much as I can, so I decided to come home on foot since it was downhill, and I figured I would not get too badly lost.  My way took me past some beautiful buildings and good window licking opportunities.  I did not get lost at all, and as I said fetched up besides Galeries LaFayette.
I am paying a little more for wine, so I'm in violation of my five euro rule, but I'm not paying much more.  One can, of course, find even fancy, expensive wine even in grocery stores, and for those willing to splash cash, specialty wine stores offer vintages of dizzying quality, which would be completely wasted on me.
But I sure to enjoy my Chateau Cheapaux rose with my Rocamador cheese and pain Polaine.  For desert, I've been having toast with the butter and lavender honey. Divine!
Dinner is gnocchi a la pistou--quick, easy, and great with rose.
A demain

No comments:

Post a Comment