Sunday, August 26, 2018

Very Fine Art--and a Lot of It!


Guten Tag,
The Gemaldegalerie is a world class art museum, and I had never heard of it until I started researching Berlin.  Keeping in mind that Modern Art is housed elsewhere, apart from Leonardo and Michelangelo, every artist is there.  It is a truly huge and magnificent collection.
But first we have to get there, and that proved a bit of a chore.
I got some solid sleep and was feeling ready for a deep immersion into art.  The U bahn stop was on the same route I'd taken home yesterday--very easy to get to.  I emerged expecting some kind of sign to point the way.  Now as it happens there was, but it was for the museum complex not the art gallery, but I did not realize this until I was coming back.  You want Kulturforum.
I looked around the U bahn and S bahn stations hoping for a map or information desk, but it was Sunday and nothing was open.  I chose a direction at random and started forth.  After a short walk I came upon the Memorial to the Jewish Dead, a stark and moving art installation consisting of gray blocks.  I know it doesn't sound like anything, but it is powerful in person.  I spoke to a security guard.  Unfortunately the site needs them because some idiots don't understand the concept of respect.  She and I pored over my map, and she called for assistance.
The advice was to take a bus.  A bus?  Forsooth!  I was already lost.  I did not need to make it worse, but I thought I'd go find the bus stop, and then perhaps I'd be on the right street and could find the museum.  At the bus stop I came upon a map which encouraged me.  I set off down Potsdammer Strasse.
By that time I was in dire need of a toilet, so I turned aside into the Sony Center, which looked like it might have a public toilet.  I had to pay a euro, but the facilities were nice.
I soon found my target, got my ticket, and the audio guide included in the admission.  Wow!  I was instantly impressed.  Many of the works were acquired by the Kings of Prussia.  Some were bequests from private collectors.  I did not see everything, but I did hit the highlights, and those lights are very high indeed.
The emphasis is on Renaissance and Baroque, but do you like Giotto?  I do. I saw works by Giorgione I didn't know about.  A tondo by Raphael is one of the gems of the collection, and I could make a long list of artists and works.  I do have to mention a version that Botticelli created of his Venus--only her--no shell or background.  It's gorgeous.  The exhibit of Rembrandt and Rubens is distinguished.  I saw two paintings by Vermeer that were new to me.  Just exquisite.  The painting that must not be missed is Caravaggio's Victory of Love.  Caravaggio was not a nice man.  He did not paint nice paintings.
Dinner is doner kabab.  I stopped at a busy hole in the wall on my way home and ordered a big one "mit alles" with everything.  This is a monster.  I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it this evening.
Quit teasing us, Pil.  What's in it?
Gyro meat stuffed into a fluffy pita to begin with.  You can count on that, but otherwise no uniform recipe or ingredients exist.  They originated in Turkey, but are ubiquitous in Europe and especially popular in Germany.  Mine has chopped onion, pickled beet, cabbage, chopped cucumber and tomato plus three kinds of sauce.  I am hungry, but this is sooooo goooood!  I'm having it with Berliner Kindl because I liked it so much the first time.

4 comments: