Monday, August 27, 2018

A Trip to Spandau


Guten Tag,
It's Monday, so museums are closed, but Spandau is open, so I took a trip out to the historic Berlin suburb.  Well, the town is considered part of Berlin now, but the Spandauese (Spandonians?) will tell you proudly that their town is older than Berlin.
Regular readers of my blog know of my fondness for the art of the aperitif/aperitivo, which is practiced in various forms further south in Europe.  It is not a German custom, but I could not help but notice as I strolled about the city, that it is catching on here at least during the summer.  There is not a cafe but offers an Aperol Spritz and other aperitifs.  I think it would be rude if I did not join in.
I like sparkling wine, and Germany produces its own, little known version called Sekt.  I got dry or trocken, but it also comes in semi sweet and sweet.  I'm having it with some nuts I brought from home.  It tastes a lot like Prosecco to me, and I find it tasty and refreshing.  You will be able to find it in the United States, but you'll have to hunt because most of it is consumed domestically by thirsty Germans of good taste.
I began the day by attending the grocery store.  The day is overcast, windy, and cool.  I had to wear my sweater.
Spandau was very easy to get to--at least for me, it being on my local U bahn line.  Since we have a longish U bahn ride out, I will tell you the posted rules: No food, No drink, No pets.  I have not heard loud music on the train, but I have seen a couple people eating, and a couple of well behaved dogs having a ride with their people.  Sometimes beggars climb aboard to solicit funds.  I have not seen them the past two days, but I'm sure they are out there.
I emerged from the U bahn and followed the signs to the Zitadelle or castle.  I love a good castle, and this one is in the Renaissance, i.e. post gunpowder, period, and is among the best preserved in Europe.  The fortress is in a star shape with comparatively low walls and jutting bastions for the cannon.  It has a moat.  The interior is mostly a military museum, but some interesting nuggets of history emerge.  The place was remodeled and luxed up to provide a residence for the Electors' widows, but it still served an important military function.  Alas it could not hold out against Napoleon or the Russian incursion.
A Medieval castle with a wall and round tower once sat on the site, but only archeological bits remain.  The existing round tower is called the Julius Turm.  I climbed it--yes all the way to the top via a spiral staircase at first and then a series of stairs and walk ways.  I emerged and enjoyed the panoramic views.
One of the most fascinating parts is what's called the "Archeological Window," which reveals the original foundations of the original fortress.  It was built by the pre Hohenzollern Dynasty, the Ascanians otherwise known as the House of Anhalt.  One of them became Margrave of Brandenburg in the twelfth century.  The family is credited with founding Berlin.  The River Havel flows by the castle, and the site although strategic was water logged.  Stone and wooden piles had to be driven into the soggy ground in order to provide a secure foundation.
Then I strolled over to Spandau's charming and pedestrianized Alt Stadt.  It's very pretty and only somewhat touristy.  I saw lots of real people going about their everyday business.  I also came upon a market!  So I had a pleasant time strolling about and licking a window or two.  On the way home because I still had some gumption and confidence, I got off a stop early, so I could look around.  I did not get lost coming back at all.
Dinner will consist of left over Doner Kabab.  I was right.  The thing was so huge I could not finish it in one go.

2 comments: