Friday, August 31, 2018

Decorative Arts through the Ages


Guten Tag,
I'm back early, and I set out late, both due to a problem with one of my contact lenses.  It happens rarely but is annoying when it does.  Finally I had to give up and set off monocuarly.  Fortunately I was going back to Potsdamplatz, a U bahn route I know well, and I was returning to the Kulturforum, and this time I knew how to find it, so I figured I'd be ok, and I could save the other activities I planned for a two eyed day.
And it was just as well because the Kunstgewerbemuseum was far larger and more elaborate than I had anticipated.  The collection is both wide ranging and fabulous.  I saw objects from the High Middle Ages to the mid Twentieth Century, and a variety of media were on offer.
Germany is noted for its woodcarvings, but I was also taken by the extensive exhibit over many periods of history of engraved glass.  Southern Germany was a glass producing area back in Roman times, and the artisans had hundreds of years to perfect their craft.  The designs etched into the various vases and goblets were both delicate and elaborate.
The display of exquisite game boards and pieces from the Renaissance was also fascinating.  I could recognize chess and backgammon, but the others remained a mystery to me.
What do you like?  Jewelry?  There's plenty of it in a variety of styles--all gorgeous.  Textiles?  Embroidered cloths and magnificent tapestries await you.  Ceramics?  Carved Furniture?  Religious Art?  All in abundance and very beautiful.  Most of it was from Germany, but a lot was from Italy as well.
Jugendstil or Art Nouveau and Art Deco were also represented.  I have a weakness for the tableware, and I wished to abscond with a few of the smaller tables, which I thought would do very well in my condo.
I especially enjoyed the costume museum.  I coveted some of the ball gowns from the Nineteenth Century--although I confess I find the fin de siecle bustles pretty funny.  Fashion is, of course, completely irrational, but most of us find it easier to go along with it up to a point.  The costumes on display were from the richer classes and included shoes, hats, and everyday garments.  Formal wear from some great Parisian designers was there--Chanel, Dior, Elsa Shiaparelli, and more.  The Early Twentieth Century was nicer than the mid century when mini skirts and odd materials hit the fashion scene.  I can't imagine real women wearing some of that stuff.
But it's nice to relax with my apero.  I am drinking fruit wine made of stone fruit, and very nice it is.  The alcohol level is comparatively low making it a very pleasant aperitif. I always make an effort to do educational cultural research for my readers.
Speaking of which--dinner is currywurst mit frites.  Let's have some history!
Can't we eat first, Pil?
No.  This is a Berlin Classic and deserves some respect, but like almost every European food stuff--there is controversy. . .
What everyone can agree upon is that the origin of currywurst is during the Allied Occupation of Germany after World War II.  British and American soldiers in particular were willing to share goodies with the Germans they met.  The British contributed curry powder.  The Americans catsup or ketchup.  According to tradition a resident of Charlottenburg (my neighborhood!) named Herta Heuwer obtained some curry powder and catsup from some British soldiers and mixed it with sausage.  Some versions of the story say she also had Worcester Sauce.  The combination proved popular and enduring.
What's the controversy?
Well--ahem--Hamburg says the combo was first made there.  Needless to say Berlin merely sniffs at such a claim.  Everyone agrees that frites are a later addition.
Can we eat now?  I'm starting to slaver.
Ok.  I've poured the weissbier to accompany.  I had a choice of sausage, and picked the more robust looking one.  So good!  I am not sure the sauce would be to everyone's taste, and it does rather overwhelm the sausage.  It does not taste like curry, and it does not taste like catsup.  It's unique. I like it fine, but this is not something I'd eat every day or more than once on the trip.  It's not exactly health food.  You can find it everywhere in Berlin and indeed everywhere in Germany.

2 comments: