Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Wellington to Rotorua


Rotorua smells--not unpleasantly--of sulfur.  As we turned into town I spotted a few hot plopping mud holes. The town is famous for them, and the region abounds in thermal springs.
I set out early to catch the 7:45 bus here.  It was worth it to me, as sorry as I was to leave Wellington, to have a direct bus without any dreaded transfers, and to arrive at a reasonable hour.  More people smoke on the streets in Wellington than Auckland, and another difference is Wellington folk cross against lights often and enthusiastically.  Sometimes I followed their example.
The trip was only a little over six hours this time.  Except around Auckland and Wellington, there are no multilane highways.  The main routes across the North Island are single lane in each direction.  We recrossed the desert.  Let's just say that it's not my favorite part of New Zealand.  We also got new views of glaciered Mt. Ruapehu as well as the ominous Mr. Volcano festooned with old lava flows.  We also passed through the usual gorgeous countryside and crossed numerous rushing rivers.
One of our stops was in a town called Bulls.  We went through it on the way to Wellington, too, and I thought who names a town Bulls.  Why?  It is clearly a place of great civic pride with bull models and images All over.  They must think their town is admirabull.
We passed my motel on the way to the bus station, so I knew where to come.  There's a grocery store pretty much right across the street.  The issue is that it's a major thoroughfare, and there are no lights or crosswalks or anything of that description.  My hostess told me to sprint.  This seemed to work.
Now you may have noticed a Major Omission on this trip, and it is one I have determined to correct this evening.  I am talking about cheese!  I got a selection of some nice grass fed New Zealand cheese.  Shall I taste them for you?
Why do you think you have to ask, Pil?
All these are cows milk cheeses. I going to start with something called Livingstone Gold, which is semi soft and colored with annatto so it's orange.  I have nice crackers to put all this stuff on.  Now for a bite.
Nice.  It doesn't taste like much at first but then a mild but complex flavor develops, and it's rather like very good Monterey Jack.
Now for something called Aged Airedale.  It's aged in red wax and is described on the package as sharp.  I don't find it so, but it has a very interesting and distinctive flavor.  I can't compare it to any other cheese, but I like it.
The next is a cheddar style cheese called Totara Tasty.  Here we go.  Mmm.  Good cheddar flavor!
Last we have Windsor Blue, a soft cheese described as "buttery."  The texture is nice and it has a sharp blue cheese taste.
Now I feel I have done my duty--but it was also a pleasure!



2 comments: